Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:03 AM   #1

Recently I took a trip to Malawi where I took over 1500 photos. Slowly, as I have time to process them, I'll post them.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This is one a took of my proposing to my fiance(then girfriend). I entered it at a local club competition and it received to silvers and a gold(it needs at least 2 golds to qualify for a national competition).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The judges who gave it a silver, said the storm distracted from the moment, and the other judge said if the storm wasn't in the background, it would just be an ordinary photo.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm to subjective for this one to judge for myself, so please let me know what you think...
Attached Images

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator

ok, this is a shot of a lifetime.. in more than 1 way it would seem..

the compositon is spot-on perfect.. the exposure IS perfect.. the cloud detail is amazing, the mood set is perfect..and what timing with the lightningbolt.. the storm adds alot for me..

the only minor quibble is the hat, i would like to see more of your fiancees face..

Congratulations not only on a simply wondeful photo (one of my favorites posted here of late) and on your upcoming wedding..

here's wishing you all the best!
-Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:18 AM   #3

Thanks Dustin for one of the quickest replies I have ever received!

I initially also had a quibble with the hat, but realized if I asked her to remove it, there wouldn't have been the lightning. On the larger file, she also looks like she has a hawk nose, cause she was shaking her head in shock!
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:52 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Awesome shot.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:01 AM   #5

Hey John - Absolutely perfect timing, and I do agree with all that Dustin has said about the shot, it really is a shot of a lifetime. Congrats, nephew !!!!

I believe the date is set for the 24th June - We'll see you down there
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:04 AM   #6

John, GREATTttt..... shot! And congratulations to you both!! I'm v happy 4 U having captured that special moment in such great quality & detail. (I got engaged 1.5 months ago.... and have photos from a few minutes before the moment and after... but you got it "spot on time"!

I'm with the judge who says that the storm (and lightning bolt!) made it more special. Definitely makes a big difference for me. Did you plan or think a lightning bolt might be in the picture, or was it just "chance"? (imagery for me: the question evokes a bolt of emotions in your girl's heart.... sending off a chain reaction in nature!!)

I agree with Dustin that I'd have liked to see more of the face of your girlfriend / fiancee (depending I guess on whether she said "yes" by the time the shutter was released....)

You have the exposure and I think colour of the clouds / storm right on! However I'm not sure if this is fair to say (but it's my honest opinion) I think that maybe a bit more saturation / colour in the foreground is needed, e.g. making the sand and you both stand out a bit more. But that's just a minor quibble. You have taken the photo very well and I wish you all the best for the future... in life and in photography.. (when's the wedding... dont' forget to share some photos from that day too!!)

Warm greetings,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:13 AM   #7

that's a great shot, any way you slice it . i hope there is an enlarged version hanging in your home.* congrats!!
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:23 AM   #8

I agree ~ this is just so right.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:58 AM   #9
LT7

Wow, the gods must approve or something,with their lightning bolt of approval. Great Shot. This as they say is....A KODAK MOMENT.

Congratulations!

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:08 PM   #10

Or a Canon moment.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote