Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:47 AM   #11

The gurus have spoken. Thanks for sharing this one. Was just wondering what it would look like in colour. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:55 AM   #12

I think this is good.

The fence is the main element for me. Its diminishing consistency with the supporting elements have a fairly calming effect. No need to add anything in here, in fact the opposite. I would consider removing the small bush/tree and the poles/sign on the right side. Also it looks to me that you could pull a lot more detail out of the sky. All of which might add to this composition.

Do you use channel mixer in your conversions. All elements adding to 100.I agree with a slightly higher contrast. Then again by pulling more detail from the sky may have similar benefits.

LB
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:23 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Thanks LB

Yes I use the channel mixer.

There wasn't much detail in the sky so I used the Shadow/Highlights tool to try pull some out, and it helped a lot. Still getting used to the tool, but I find it much easier than the curves tool.

But I neglected to do another levels adjustment AFTER that.

So now I have and it seems to have kept all the detail and still boosted the contrast.

Glad you're back.

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:32 AM   #14
Super Moderator

And now for the life of me I cannot decide why I didn't like the colour version.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:40 AM   #15

Hi,

That colour of the dirt in the shot is really nice! What about a sepia wash of some description? Maybe if you could eyedropper that colour and do some sort of colour replace?

Also do like the higher contrast BW conv... i think to be honest whatever you do to this will produce a winning result as it is a really nice shot.

Do like LB's suggestion to just tidy the small items - maybe want to do something about that patch of dead grass too??

Really nice though... I could look at loads more conversions of this shot.

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:43 AM   #16

Quote:
There wasn't much detail in the sky so I used the Shadow/Highlights tool to try pull some out, and it helped a lot. Still getting used to the tool, but I find it much easier than the curves tool.

the detail is there. It just needs pulled out more. I use the shadows and highlights to do this also despite some people concerns about the quality drop. Hardly noticeable.

Colour is great. Are you not considering removing some of the small distractions from the scene? Not much work with the clone tool. With perspective clone tool in CS2 the fence behind the bush could be cleaned up easily ?
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:50 AM   #17

I agree. :?
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:14 AM   #18

Colour definitely.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:46 AM   #19
Super Moderator

LB wrote:
Quote:
Are you not considering removing some of the small distractions from the scene? Not much work with the clone tool. With perspective clone tool in CS2 the fence behind the bush could be cleaned up easily ?
Mm, unfortunately I haven't upgraded to CS2 just yet. Staying current with the Adobe upgrade cycle is a fairly pricey business. So no perspective clone.

In fact it's possible that I may just move to Lightroom if it released with the right features and just hang on to CS for editing, it's good enough for most things.

As it happens though I don't find the little tree and sign too much of a problem, but I will certainly have a go at removing them sometime. I trust your instincts. :-)

Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:14 AM   #20

Hope you don't mind Peri... quick edit job... to be honest I had never seen that perspective clone tool - pretty good but a little too easy to repeat the pattern as you can probably see.... maybe need a little more practice with that one...!

Dom
Attached Images

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote