Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:36 AM   #1

I t is a well known scenario that the art adherent visits a museum with his/her digicam but has to return home with images accompanied by many a ghostly reflections.And the same occured to me... Well, do you think I could have prevented this 'nuisance' simply by using an polarizing filter? Or does the stuation require more than this?
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:48 PM   #2

I'm not really qualified to say but it seems like it may be worth a try.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:15 PM   #3

Yes a polarizer does help reduce reflections....however, it also reduces available light by about 2 stops. This makes this low light situation and even lower light situation. If you're using a dslr, you could maybe bump the ISO up to 1600 (or 3200 if your camera has it) to compensate....as long as your shooting pretty wide, you should get decent shutter speeds (at least 1/60) to prevent camera shake. A polarizer probably will not eliminate the lights you see reflected in the image.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:46 PM   #4

since this was shot at 1/8 second with an unstabilized camera, i assume you were able to use a monopod or tripod, or else you are VERY steady at handheld shots... either way, a polarizer will definitely help with the reflections. as rjseeney mentioned, it will reduce the light through the lens by 1.5-2 stops, but if you can use a monopod or even a tripod, that won't prove to be a problem. the added support would also let you use a smaller aperture for greater depth of field...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:42 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:03 AM   #6

Indeed, as you can see my own reflection on the glass I took this picture handheld. Sometimes, while holding the camera, I might have a hand as steady as a dead's (that's for you Syd)! Anyway, thanks for the info. Considering also rj's suggestion for the need of higher ISO I think I am going to get a fuji F10 or F11(preferable for its manual controls)so that I can shoot up at higher shutter speeds to ensure the image quality against any slight blurring shake effect. This will also allow the camera to work at a smaller aperture for a better depth of field as 'Squirl'has put it. Do you also agree?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:03 AM   #7

Hi Bahadir I think you should have checked your w/ b it would have made a difference to thecolour of the photo.

Alex
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:14 AM   #8

Hiya,

Apart from the obvious that the other guys here have mentioned you should keep an eye on your backgrounds too. You have an unsightly plug socket at the left and part of the other item in the display case in the front. Maybe step to the left and use the back of the case as the background.

One other point - there appears to be some black marks on the pot - couldn't you clone them out!!!?!?!??! :blah::G

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:13 AM   #9

Yes, you are right Dom.The plug socket on the left is a shame which I should have avoided. Probably, that was the only possible angle from which I took the picture with the least damn reflectins!! which is the major issue.