Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:42 AM   #1

I'm sure the one guy is lecturing the other guy about clearance and right of way rules for amphibious launching and takeoff...
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:56 AM   #2

This shot sufferd from some cropping issues on both the top and right hand side.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:16 AM   #3

I have to agree with tigger here--the right hand side crop isn't that bad, but cropping the top of the wings of the duck on the right takes away a lot from the picture. Also, the picture seems a bit soft (not sure how much you can do about it, as focus might be too slow to fix that), white balance is a bit off, and watch the highlights on the ducks' wings.

Nice capture, though.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:35 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Kenneth,

I think that this is a pretty good capture. I see from the EXIF data that you had full zoom on this, 420mm EFL and pretty wide open at f3.7.

That's a tough shot to make.

It suffers perhaps just slightly from being out of focus. But given the shallow DOF at that aperture and focal length it's still technically pretty good IMO.

I really like the way you've caught the bottom duck, I like the wing position and the eye is the shapest area of the picture, but I have to agree that it's unfortunate that the other duck got cropped. It would be a fair bit of work to clone the top duck out of the shot, but quite possibly worth the attempt.

Also there seem to be some slight colour and processing issues that might be a result of down-sizing for the web.

Overall I think that it's one to be pleased with until a better shot comes along and it works well in a documentary sense - it's a picture to print and hang if your main interest is birds rather than photography if you see what I mean. This is not meant to be a disparaging remark, I could easily see it hung in a lodge or amongst a collection of bird photographs. And certainly most wildlife photography is more about documenting rather than purely aesthetic considerations.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:48 AM   #5

Besides what other have said, I wondering whether this one needed some sharpening. Ouch, the wing that was mutilated takes away something from the shot. Thanks. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:25 AM   #6

Good try, difficult shot to get right, when shooting moving targets make sure that you follow through the shot, make sure that servo tracking for autofocus is enabled and fix your sutterspeed so the camera does not have to guess or compensate for you. the rull of thumb is your shutter speed should be at least 1/the focal length of your lens, in your case 1/500, but my guess is that because yourre shooting so tight and fast you would have been better served with 1/800 or 1/1000 shutter speeds. No hard and fast rules, you must experiment make mistakes so you can learn.

Good luck

nice try

Hooligan
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:45 AM   #7

Thanks all, for taking time to critique. This is something I really want to get better at, but find it so very hard to get the birds to cooperate. (I refuse to scare the bejeeziz out of them just to get them to fly for me). This was simply the best I could manage as you have very little time to shoot. No cropping except a bit on the left side. I did not manage to get enough of copilot in the pic. It might not be over exposed as badly as it appears, as I did adjust a bit in software, and fear I may be responsible for the exposure looking like that. Good to read these notes, as I am already planning another jaunt to this spot. Thank you all again. I know from perusing comments about what we expect from this forum that this type of shot might at first be viewed as merely someone's idea of "hey lookit this..." but no, I really was hoping for someone to study the action and suggest helpful pointers. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:22 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know from perusing comments about what we expect from this forum that this type of shot might at first be viewed as merely someone's idea of "hey lookit this..." but no, I really was hoping for someone to study the action and suggest helpful pointers.
Not a chance Kenneth. Every time you post here you have tried something different, and for your wildlife shots, something very difficult considering you're not using $10,000 worth of equipment.

I personally don't think we see enough of your stuff.

Regards,
Craig

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:48 PM   #9

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know from perusing comments about what we expect from this forum that this type of shot might at first be viewed as merely someone's idea of "hey lookit this..." but no, I really was hoping for someone to study the action and suggest helpful pointers.
Not a chance Kenneth. Every time you post here you have tried something different, and for your wildlife shots, something very difficult considering you're not using $10,000 worth of equipment.

I personally don't think we see enough of your stuff.

Regards,
Craig
See, now you make me feel like Sally Fields getting her oscar! (ha..ha!) How time flies. eh? Seriously tho, what a difference a year makes. Meant to comment on your B&W shot with the fence and trees btw, to me it looks like it came right out of "high Noon" or some other Gary Cooper western. Very nice...! I believe the expensive equipment will have to wait for a while, I'm truly having fun with my current camera. (Dare not mention the name or brand one more time or I'll be run out of town) I can actually put some of the advice I'm getting, to U S E now! Thank you for your very diplomatic (and geniune, I know) kindness. I really do think that now I can get that ducky takeoff shot...better if not perfectly. Keep your eyes on this forum. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:15 PM   #10
Super Moderator

much of what i see has been stated previously..

i really love the capture on the first duck.. but as has been mentioned its a bit soft, and the 2nd duck is overexposed and cut-off a bit awkwardly..

don't worry, you are not the only one that has trouble with these kinds of shots.. i don't do well at panning birds at all.. its tough, and your efforts are appreciated on my end as someone that has tried..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote