Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:43 PM   #1

Still trying to figure out bright snow pics. It is tougher with a DSLR and with a p&s camera.

What can I do to get the sun not blown but still leave the snow bright white. I posted then in the landscape forum but no response at all there.

Thanks. Rob
Attached Images

neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:44 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:30 PM   #3

now, i don't know if you are asking for photo advice or editing advice, but i PS'd it a bit.

i couldn't shade the sun much on #1 without losing the coldness of the snow, so i gave

it a bit more color intensity.

don't know if it was what you were looking for, but i think helped with the "blown

out" feel with as little work as possible.

i think number two is pretty cool as it is.

scot
Attached Images

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:47 PM   #4

I agree, nice edit. Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:26 PM   #5

I think it might have been good to give the details at which you took the shots then we can begin from there. Maybe a tighter exposure might have helped. Thanks. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:27 PM   #6

Your digital camera's metering system is being fooled by so much white in the picture. The camera is wanting to turn everything back to 18% grey, in some cameras you will get a blue cast instead of the grey. You can get around this by manually overexposing by 2/3rds or even a full stop, try different exposures or bracket ond it should get you pretty close. That's they way I understand it, someone please correct me if I am spreading missinformation.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:20 AM   #7

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
Your digital camera's metering system is being fooled by so much white in the picture. The camera is wanting to turn everything back to 18% grey, in some cameras you will get a blue cast instead of the grey. You can get around this by manually overexposing by 2/3rds or even a full stop, try different exposures or bracket ond it should get you pretty close. That's they way I understand it, someone please correct me if I am spreading missinformation.
Don't be surprised if you have to go +2 or even more; sunlit snow can really be problematic. Of course, at +2 the sky will really be blown out. I would suggest using a graduated ND filter to tame the sky a bit.

That said, I do prefer the second shot. The composition is more intimate and the details in the frost crystals is very appeailing. As with the first shot, this could use some compensation as well.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

<edit> A little hint in this regard. As GoCubs has said, your camera will always try to expose for 18% grey,but you can tell it where to look for the grey. If your camera has spot metering, try metering off something with darker details you want to expose properly. (or a nice blue sky if you have one... which won't work in this case) Lock your exposure,(or set your exposure manually for that reading) recompose and fire away. If you expose for what you want to see, the camera should be able to give you the results you are looking for. As you may guess, this works best if you are shooting in Manual mode. Your meter will go nuts when you recompose, but trust your instincts. This won't help the blown out sky, but your snow should be white.

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote