Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:38 PM   #1

Ok, I understand the concept of metering for highlights or shadows, depending on whether you want to silhouette or not. I also understand about automatic focussing. What I want to know, though, is how would one go about metering for highlights when one wants a shallow depth of field and the subject is off centre? It must be possible but I can't do it, because I'm sure that the camera metres and focusses on the half-press of the shutter button. That means that if I put the metering/ focussing target on the subject, then it meters for the subject, not the highlights which I want. If I put the target on the highlights, it meters properly but the subject is out of focus.

Can anyone advise on how I could achieve what I 'm looking for?

Please bear in mind I don't have a DSLR but a Panasonic FZ5 - it has centre & multi metering and focussing. It does have a 'focus-lock' button, though - would this be what I need? Actually, I think I've just answered my own question just by typing this out but I'd still appreciate your comments.

Thanks all...
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:11 PM   #2

I think the focus lock should do it: if you focus on your subject, press the focus lock button, and then recompose and meter on your highlights (if that's what you want to do), then I think that'll work.

In other words, I believe you did indeed answer your own question!

I think on some dSLRs (like the KM7d, and others, i'm sure) there's an Auto Exposure Lock button, which means you could meter on your highlights, press the AEL button, and recompose to have the camera focus on the subject.

Others who know more can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Best wishes,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:29 PM   #3

frenchy wrote:
Quote:
Please bear in mind I don't have a DSLR but a Panasonic FZ5 - it has centre & multi metering and focussing. It does have a 'focus-lock' button, though - would this be what I need? Actually, I think I've just answered my own question just by typing this out but I'd still appreciate your comments.

Thanks all...
Good answer. :-)

You could also do this in M mode, which as the pros tell us, "forces" us to learn proper exposure rather than letting the camera do it for you. They're right. (this time :-)) In M mode, focus on the area you want to expose for and set your shutter speedand aperture. Then recompose - off center or diagonal or whatever you want -and take your shot. Your subject should be exposed the way you want it. This takes a bit of practice, but it works.

I recommend Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure; he has lots of tips on managing difficult exposures.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:03 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses guys. I thought I was on the right lines...I will practice with manual exposure though.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote