Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:33 PM   #1

found this one creeping in my hard drive and decided to share it.

i haven't seen colors like this in a while and i'm sure some of you share my delema.

hope y'all like it!

scot
Attached Images

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:43 AM   #2

If its creeping in your hard drive, you better shoot it for trespassing. :shock:

Cant find the focus, or a great point of interest. I'm not particularly fond of the angle.

I'm a colour lover, so that caught my attention....

It sounds harsh, however I don't think its awful, just not quite there as an image I think makes pass marks.

Good that you are looking out for different perspectives though. I notice you take a wide variety of shots too.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:26 AM   #3

The red brick and green are great colours, but when I look closely, It seems to me that middle section is in focus, while the upper and bottom sections are not. I am asking myself how is that possible? Anyone seeing this or is it my screen? Kind regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:36 AM   #4

I'm seeing it too, Aumma45. The focus is about half-way up the wall, and the depth of field isn't very deep (wide aperture).
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:05 AM   #5

How do you understand DOF?If you think everythingis infocus up to the focal point, and then everything past that point isn't, then thats not right?

Front out of focus and rear out of focus ? Hows it possibleyou ask?? thats a optical question that would take a while to answer. Take it as red.

However the reason you can see it in this example is because your focusing on an angled plain. Anyway its the same for every photograph with shallow depth of field. Its just that not in every photograph do you have objects in the foreground so you have nothing there to see the out of focus.

DOF is a band of focus that exists at a particular distance from the camera dependent on focal length and aperture. Search on the web under Depth of field calculator to get a good understanding of this. Its fairly important to all photographers. Slap me if you already know this...

Bare in mind how many times have we at f1.4 or 1.8 focused on an angled face/portrait to later find the rear eye focused and the front not. Prime case of wrong depth of field having focused on the nose. The depth behind focus longer than in front.

In your photograph I knew there was a point of focus, I just didn't think that point of focus happened to be a point of interest, therefore the point of focus is not so apparent.

Here is an example of a better one.... hahaha, no-one likes a smartypants, so I apologise now....:lol::G:blah:

:roll:

my monkey sits in its band of focus, fore and rear out of focus is apparent on the sloping brick wall.

Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:15 AM   #6

That is one awsome monkey shot Lboy.....very nice
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:30 PM   #7

First, if we talk about the roof photo I will now talk about the colors: I can accept the green color and the blue at the end but the red (or better say roof color) is WAY too much over exposed, for me it is not good.

Conversation over focus I will let you decide what is better.

Regards Zak

P.S. Great monkey photo
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:27 PM   #8

this picture actually is not that bad.....work on your colour coordination
james_bond755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:49 PM   #9
Super Moderator

the angle is a bit extreme for me.. it makes it feel a bit weird.. i love the colors, but at this angle, the ivy does not work as a point of interest.. and if they were the intended point of interest, they should be in focus..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:43 PM   #10

LBoy, thanks for the lesson on focusing. It did not make sense at all to have that variation in focusing. From you I have a better understanding. I love the technical side of you. Now don't read too much into this.:G Kind regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote