Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 27, 2006, 5:07 AM   #11

LBoy, thanks. I have got more comprehensive learning here than I would have gotten in a classroom. Thanks to you and many others. I will try this again. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:46 AM   #12

everything looks good except the aperature, as stated. i use f16- f22¬* with a tripod.¬* i don't have a remote release for my camera so i set the self timer to avoid camera shake.¬* my exposures can run between 1 second to 30 seconds. the only time they are not sharp is when my 3 beagles run through the room during exposure . if you shoot at f8 or wider you will have a very shallow depth of field, which can be nice just make sure you have a focal point and that the focal point is sharp.¬* ¬*now¬* take some pictures and get back here and post them, LOL.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:26 AM   #13

If your taking shots at 5-30 secs, you are introducing long exposure noise to your images and the possibility of subject movement. Especially flower stamen and petals. Your better off just upping the ISO to reduce the shutter speed it that case.

I tend to think that long shutter speeds with macro photographywill end up with you wrongly blaming you lens of not being sharp. Which is of course not the case.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:50 AM   #14

see, you learn something new everyday, for the most part my images are sharp, but i do notice some noise..usually not too bad though...i'll have to try upping the iso a bit and see the difference it makes. i had thought doing so would add noise, not the opposite.¬* thanks LBoy
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:55 AM   #15

Quote:
i'll have to try upping the iso a bit and see the difference it makes. i had thought doing so would add noise, not the opposite.

Carefully Julie, I didn't say it would not add noise.

Both will add noise however at least you will have the benefit of a faster shutter if you up the ISO. The main thing is to retain the sharpness on the focus detail.

If you are using a decent SLR and your shooting on ISO 100 and finding you need a shutter of anything between 5-30 secs (as you said). I am merely suggesting that you use the cameras ISO - upto 800 in order to bring this shutter time down. A whole number of things are happing in length of time like that. As I mentioned - movement of the camera and subject. Also the sensor will gather long exposure noise anyway.

Either way running through a noise reduction program will sort it out.

To add. If you are not having sharpness issues with how you are shooting then fine, the above need not be taken into account. However for those using long exposures with their macro work, its something to consider.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 2:47 AM   #16

Thanks Julies and Lboy. The discussion has been very fruitful. I actually began to realise why my followers were not getting better and better. Yesterday, I tried aperture 16 on an ordinary subject and I saw great improvement. I will look for an appropriate subject and you will soon see the post. Again deeply indebted to you. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote