Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:09 AM   #1

Used a macro lens, I worked on the composition and lighting and did some post processing. I like this new look, No cropping. I don't know whether it works for you. Will appreciate your comments and how I should improve on this one. Thanks Jaki.

Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:58 AM   #2

fantastic shot, jaki!

all i did was give the color a little more intencity and used a bit of shadowing to bring

out a bit more detail.

i hope you don't mind.

scot
Attached Images

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:28 AM   #3

I don't think this is your best for two reasons

Highlights are blown.. on the left.

Stamen which are main interest are out of focus.

I like the colour which is attractive. The balance there is good. Your composition/crop is also good.

Correct the first two and your there.

haha, I reckon ?
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:18 AM   #4

Thanks Scot for the edit and for looking. The story of this flower is a long one, but we shall leave that out for a moment and concentrate on what we have.

LBoy, thanks for the comments. Honest, I did not focus on the stamen. I have another shot that puts the stamen in focus. I was fiddling with the macro lens and the closer I moved in then only a portion of the flower came into focus. I will work on the two suggestions you have made and see what the out come will be like.

Again, regards. Hey am only trying to ware Julies shoes. Ha ha ha.

Jaki.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Honest, I did not focus on the stamen.
Of course you didn't, that what I said, wasn't it. Its out of focus....?:blah:

Are you meaning that your intention was not to focus on the Stamen for this shot?

In which caseanyway its irrespective, I'm just critiquing the photo you have submitted.

Whether you focus on the stamen or not, you should provide enough DOF to have it focused.

Would be nice to see the focused one.

Self critique my friend comes first???? :idea:

Do you think I'm being harsh? :blah:hahaha

Ps. I prefer the soft tones of the original than the edit.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:03 AM   #6

jaki, this is a beautiful effort, i love the color and composition- very well done . as far as the focus, it is ok not to have everything sharp but you have to choose wisely as to what will be in/out of focus. i think in this case if the stamen were in focus and the petals less so it would be a stronger image. you could also go for everything being in focus, what f-stop did you use?* * *i'm looking forward to more of this exploration, you are almost there....hey my feet are cold, has anyone seen my shoes?
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:20 PM   #7

I like the colour, but the stamen would be much better if in focus, as others previously suggested. Personally, I don't care for the crop / composition - I find that the stamen are too much in the corner, tucked away, and would prefer to see them a little further to the left.

Best,

-Ben

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:45 PM   #8
Super Moderator

jaki

i really like the overall feel of this shot.. the soft pastel purple works really nicely.. the composition is very good as well.. i think your intentions were spot on here..

but you missed the execution a bit..

the petal is blown on the left, in harsh light don't be afraid to get a diffuser of some kind, whether its justa sheer curtain, or an actual diffuser, they can be real helpful for macro work, as well as outdoor portraits..

not enough depth-of-field here.. with macro shots, you really need to shoot a relatively small aperture.. this means tripod, no exceptions.. as you may have to stop down to 16 or 22 which will really bring down your shutter speeds..

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:27 PM   #9

LBoy, I know you are not being harsh, doubt it that you would harm a beetle.:G :G. You know down your chest that I value your critiques. Where would I be without ya? Honest bout this. Lesson taken.

Hey, Julie will get you a new pair...:G. Don,t forget you are our mentor - those of us who are in the flower industry. Thanks for the support and encouragement. Here is the data I used. Please tell me what I should have done better.

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Shutter Speed: 0.5
Aperture Value: 8.0
Metering Mode: Evaluative Metering
ISO: 100
Lens : 105.0 mm
Focal Length: 105.0 mm
Image Quality: RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode: Auto
AF Mode: Manual focusing
Noise Reduction: Off

Ben thanks for looking will do better next time on the stamen.

Dustin, thanks your comments are valued. Have taken note. Kind regards.

Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:33 AM   #10

Basically the aperture is too large. Like previously said more DOF and as reiterated by Dustin - reduce to 22. Your shutter speed will then reduce, so you could play with your ISO somewhat, however as you will be using a tripod,best keep your quality high by sticking with 100 or 200 - max 400.

(note. even when using a tripod, you still don't want to have too long a shutter speed. Its better if you can avoid longer than 1 to1.5sec if possible. Tripods and subjects tend to still move even if you cant see it. Hence using the ISO option)