Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:41 PM   #1

I know I said I'd post next week...but I couldn't wait!!I really want to learn how to do this right. I've been experimenting with usm. I'm not sure if I applied enough, or too little. It seems if I go any higher, the noise gets really noticable. Itried noise despeckle, and I lost the sharpness that I had gained with usm.I printed out an 8x10 (before I resized), and I think it looks pretty sharp. This was shot with my Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6. AV, f-stop 6.3, ss 1/1000, iso 400, 176mm. For usm I used 225, radius =1, threshhold=0.This was also resized to 72 after I applied usm. Is that correct, or do I resize first? Also,how do you feel about the composition?Any & all comments are appreciated & needed.

Kath

Attached Images

lizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:01 PM   #2

Love this one: it is sharpt, that angle of shoting brings out the composition and makes it effective. The DOF is good blurs out the background that would otherwise appear busy. Not sure about the crop, let see what others say.

Liz, seems that Tamron is cool. Keep posting and there is not limit to posting provided you follow the rules. Doesn't have to be once a week. Regard. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Super Moderator

first off, its a really nice photo.. good depth of field and a good background that really highlightys your subject.. so the photo is great..

225% at a radius of 1 and a threshold of 0 is really quite HIGH.. i think you got away with it in this shot since it is exposed so well throughout and since you are posting on the web it is too small to see any artifacts.. i think on other images you will find that it oversharpens and you get some artifacting, especially at larger sizes..

what i do when i process my photos is i do all my corrections to contrast, color, crop etc.. then i save a full size image of this.. if i want to print it out.. then depending on the image (adjust as needed) if i want to print, i set the print output size and sharpen somewhere in the 100-130% at 1.0 and 0.. if i want to web present, i resize to websize and then i sharpen somewhere in the 60-80% at .8 and 0..sharpening is always my last step, after resize..

now there are many ways to achieve the same results, so others may do different and get similar results.. that is just my particular style.. i will also occasionally use intellisharpen or other sharpening programs.. but not normally..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:16 AM   #4

Let me first say, great picture lizabeth!

I would like to pose the questions:

Is one or the other better in regards to "USM vs High Pass(overlay)"?

Is there a time and place for either and under what circumstances would you do so?

I have experimented with USM as Dustin described but of recent I have been trying the High Pass technique. I first make a background copy, apply high pass (5 - 10) then use the high pass as an overlay. I have noticed that with animal pictures the result is astounding. Fur becomes very defined etc. When I get back to full speed on my broadband I will post a pic before and after high pass.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:17 PM   #5

Thank you all for your kind words.

Jaki,

I, too, wondered about the crop, but decided that I liked it.

Dustin,

Thanks for yet another great explanation, and suggestions as well. I re-processed the pic at usm of 75, radius=.75, threshold =0. It looks better.

Shadowlies,

I have only begun to learn ps2 and am not at that level of pp yet. Will look for your pics.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:51 AM   #6

I am learning as I go as well lizabeth. This was maybe not the best pic to use but I resized it first then applied the high pass technique. It seems to draw out the details using this method.

For this edit due to the resize I only used 1 pixel. If I had used the usually 5 - 10 pixels I have used in the past it would have been too severe. The High pass preview can give you an indication as to it turns out. I tend to adjust the pixel strength to where I can just pick out some of the details I want. If you can see too much of the image in high pass it seems to finish up too harsh.
Attached Images

shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:50 AM   #7

Personally, I think you should be very happy with that photo.

In my opinion, your artistry and technique has been expressed to the point where you're pushing the limits of your equipment (specifically the lens).

You'd be well justiified to say to your pocket book (or hubby or whoever) that you deserve the right to upgrade that lens to something far more expensive and more suited to your hobby (like a Canon 400mm prime, for instance).

Generally I don't like when people carry around far more expensive equipment than their talent and knowledge deserves, but on the other hand, I think it's well worth it to push the envelope when you deserve it.

And based on that photo, you deserve it!

So go get a better lens and really blow us away with your photos!

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 2:50 PM   #8

I am unfamiliar to high-pass sharpening how is this done? (I have Elements 1.0 and Gimp as my photo editors).
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:19 PM   #9

Terry,

WOW! Thank-you. Photography is my dream, and to hear your words makes me believe I'm headed in the right direction. A new lens is in the plan, but not until summer. Until then I'll keep doing my best with Whatever I have, Whenever I can, Wherever I am.

Kath