Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Super Moderator

alright.. my purpose here was to present an everyday object in a way that is not everyday.. i really liked the textures of the front of my lab laptop.. how to present it was the issue.. so i got in as close as i could and angled the composition to get a nice diagonal from bottom left to top right.. i presented it in mono and added some noise..

this one isn't going to win awards, but is at least interesting?
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:24 AM   #2

Indeed an ordinary subject in an extraordinary manner.

Dustin, you can't present and judge at the same time, never know might catch some award.

I have always heard that grainy appearance can be used very effectively and how true in this shot. It is a great shot I must admit.

Anyway more serious stuff: yes the diagonal is emphasised and almost forces you to look from left away to the right. The grainy look coupled with the mono colour are very effective in the sense that they give me a sense of timelessness and motion. This is moreover emphasised by the tight crop. I like the angle too, you came down to the level of the subject to emphasise the diagonal.

Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:28 AM   #3
Super Moderator

thanks jaki..

sometimes when i am working on a shot, i can't really appreciate it.. but now that i have stepped away from my computer for a while, talked on the phone, watched some tv, etc, and came back, i can appreciate it as a whole now without fretting so much over little details.. and i do like it better now..
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:54 AM   #4

Nice tones, nice composition.

Don't like the barrel distortion at all (on top edge). You need to run it through a lens corrector.

Otherwise great.

Something else here. not a criticism here, just an observation

I like the grain however for its artistic appeal, but the subject is not artistic enough for me to stand alone. On the other hand, you have taken avery goodcommercial shot that could work in an advertising or in ademonstrative mode, however for that the grain would not be welcome. haha.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:30 AM   #5

I like the composition with the use of the leading line, as well as the specific focus which falls awayin line with the diminishing perspective.I like the noise you added as well in thisshot but agreewith LBoy - if you were looking for this to be a 'stock' piece, you'd need to lose it.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:36 AM   #6

I have been working on developing a stock portfolio over the last couple months, (trying to earn some pocket change) and if this were presented in its original form (in color without the grain), would probably have some commercial value. As you know stock is a whole different beast in terms of what is appealing to designers....artsy shots usually don't fly so well in the stock world.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:46 AM   #7

i agree with LBoy..the added nise doesn't appeal to me with this image. i think a more "sleek" look would serve it better. i'd be interested to see it without the noise and also in color.* i like the angle and the way it is framed/cropped...definitely makes an ordinary object more interesting.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Super Moderator

thank you to everyone who commented.. always appreciated..

i will fix the barrel distortion on the original, and here is the original color for comparison..

"thanks!!
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:30 AM   #9

Yeah fix the distortion, you should know better ... ;-)

I like this more, Dustin.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:33 AM   #10
Super Moderator

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
Yeah fix the distortion, you should know better ... ;-)

I like this more, Dustin.

hehe.. i do know better.. i just got caught up fiddling with the tones and forgot to get back to it.. :?

thanks LB, the color version is growing on me too..