Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:26 AM   #1

For the aviation buffs - I did this in B&W to try and capture the mood of the age of this first operational jet. Space again was a bit tight so I opted for a nose-on shot.
Attached Images

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:13 AM   #2

I like the deep contrast, good light balance, definitely sharp, interesting subject too. Hey Steve are you in the marine corp... or do you live near a warehouse of military hardware :G...:G. Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:19 AM   #3

Showing off the contents of your garage again Steve. One of the last shipments misfired so I'll be wanting an exchange.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:07 AM   #4

Got a very nice line in Claymore AP'syou might be interested in deploying to protect your garden walls from the Chaz's. Sorry about the duds -quality's gone right out thewindowsince perestroika.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Super Moderator

i like the mono presentation and the wide-angle effect on this shot.. the symmetry is good as well.. an interesting presentation of a cool jet!!

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:15 AM   #6

Hi,

Does it bother anybody else that there are some parts cropped off at the top of this image?? Not really sure if it bothers me or not - just thought I would mention.

I really like the "up the nose" shot - gives a fish-eye type effect - cool!

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:02 PM   #7

If this aircraft had arrived a year or two earlier, the outcome of WW2 would have been very different indeed. Great aircraft, good picture.

GG
Grimble Grumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:28 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the comments - must admitI wasn't sure how this would be received.

Dom - yup, cutting off the top of the radar antenna bothered me but there was just no way I could get it all in and retain the 'down the nose' effect. Figured it was better to lose the top antennawhich at least the bottom section is shown in full, than thenose wheel.

Dustin - thanks, alway feel verygood when I get the 'nod' on technique from you

GG your dead right on that - the P51 wouldn't have enjoyed the domination it had over European skies. The 262 was way ahead of its time much like their rocketry science which, given another year, could also have had a major impact on the outcome of the war.We are fortunate to have this example of the 262 in SA.

Aumma - not far off on both counts (past & present in order of questioning:G)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:17 PM   #9

The 262 was unstoppable at high speed but was rather vulnerable at low speed. That's where the Allied fightersambushed it and fought it to the ground.
Grimble Grumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 5:40 PM   #10

Grimble Grumble wrote:
Quote:
The 262 was unstoppable at high speed but was rather vulnerable at low speed. That's where the Allied fightersambushed it and fought it to the ground.
It is also of interest to know that by the time this fighter came out, tho it was capable of speeds unmatched by any other fighter by a wide margin...Hitler was convinced it would be more effective as a fighter bomber, and by attaching bombs to it, slowed it so much it was effectively rendered useless as it could not utilize it's speed advantage carrying bombs. Books I've read indicate that by this time Hitler was virtually out if his mind, ravaged by stress and a dependance on amphetamine type injections he ordered his physician to continually administer. Very nice shot, by the way...(uh, the plane. Not the injection...:lol

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote