Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:57 AM   #1

This photo was taken with my Fuji S9000 in RAW mode using the natural light setting. I did a little sharpening, and used a print of the Gretag-Macbeth as a color reference to get the proper color balance. I wish I had used a white card on the shadow side to soften the shadows just a bit. But, what do you think of this one?
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:52 AM   #2

interesting cake.. my mother is actually gettin into the cake world right now, but aside from that..
if your goal was to simply show the world your cake you're accomplished it. if you wanted to make it more appealing or striking upon first glance i'd try shooting it from another angle. closer up, distort the perspective a little and don't shoot straight down on the cake, although i know that is first impulse. plaly with your angles and distance from the subject.

-mike j-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3

Thank you. I appreciate the comments. The angle was a little bit difficult because I was trying to keep everything confined to to the black tabletop and the table was quite small. I thought I had accomplished my goal, but after I posted this picture I realized there is just a little bit of the red wall showing in the upper right hand corner. And then you pinpointed the other problem. I didn't really have a goal in mind for the picture. My daughter just called and asked if I would take some pictures of some trial cakes she had decorated. She too is just trying to get into cake decorating. Thanks a lot for your comments.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:29 PM   #4

no prob i've been in the same boat. you can check out a few photos of cakes i've taken here:

http://www.pbase.com/mikej86/cakes

hopefully that can give you a couple ideas to run with but many of them are bland just because they wanted a straight up photo of it to show to friends, not really an artsy photo.

-mike j-
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:37 PM   #5

hehe, the fact that you have a cake gallery all set up johnson I find humurous for some reason.

I dont have much experience in the cake arena (well, shooting them anyways. eating another story) but perhaps try shooting them like a portrait. Blurred background, eye levelish. etc. Looks tasty though.

Oh, and maybe get a little more light on your subject looks a bit dark.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:43 PM   #6

hey hey dont laugh at me. it was at my mothers' request.

Old Jan 28, 2006, 2:51 AM   #7

I once posted a cake shot here; I think it was the mother of all flops. I remember no one even looked at it. This is a much better. Juicy cake. I think there should have been more light. Bounce the light on the roof so that the entire cake is lit in a balanced way. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote