Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:26 PM   #11
Super Moderator

jack52 wrote:
Quote:
Well then I guess these are a bad crop error too, (the owl, the heron and the bear)

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/...articleID=1158

More head shots with bad crop errors...
http://www.petsyclopedia.com/-info/p...005/01-jan.xml
this would be the sarcasm.. .
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:34 PM   #12

I edited out my sarcasm...

Hards80 wrote:

Quote:
jack52 wrote:
Quote:
Well then I guess these are a bad crop error too, (the owl, the heron and the bear)

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/...articleID=1158

More head shots with bad crop errors...
http://www.petsyclopedia.com/-info/p...005/01-jan.xml
this would be the sarcasm.. .
jack52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:43 PM   #13
Super Moderator

i guess it is.. i get to be sarcastic since i have more than 3000 posts.. thats the new rule, after 3000 points, sarcsasm is allowed..
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:19 PM   #14

Jack,

No need to start a flaming war. It was inappropriate to compare your pics with ones that have been presented by the organizations you mention...just because you can vaguely link your images by the "crop" used does not put your images in the same league. Hard's comment wasn't sarcasm....it was fact and was based on your sarcastic reaction to a legitimate critique. I realize you posted these images on the other forums and received little to no attention. It's ok to ask for feedback, but you have to be prepared to maybe hear some things you don't like. All of us at one time or another have taken our lumps over an image that we thought was ok, including Dustin. Take a look at some of the images that have been posted here and consider the time and effort the posters have taken to set up and execute their shots, and ask yourself "have I put the same amount of thought and effort" in the shot before you post it.

Rick

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:37 PM   #15

i dont like either of these... the first one is such an awkward crop and has no context at all, shooting it with a different background or angle may have helped...

the second one is far too busy for the eye, and even as a joke its not funny, in fact i wish i had a mind eraser to rub out the fact i have ever looked at it...

anyway, this is the critique section and its fairly honest (although theres a thread about that too!), its great you linked to really good pictures of wildlife - take inspiration from those shots and try and recreate something similar - then come back here and post again... enjoy

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:42 PM   #16

edited out my remarks...

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i guess it is.. i get to be sarcastic since i have more than 3000 posts.. thats the new rule, after 3000 points, sarcsasm is allowed..
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:45 PM   #17

I see I have my work cut out for me...

I will post another one I took of a car. If I flunk that one, I will go out and practice what has been suggested by all of you.

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
i dont like either of these... the first one is such an awkward crop and has no context at all, shooting it with a different background or angle may have helped...

the second one is far too busy for the eye, and even as a joke its not funny, in fact i wish i had a mind eraser to rub out the fact i have ever looked at it...

anyway, this is the critique section and its fairly honest (although theres a thread about that too!), its great you linked to really good pictures of wildlife - take inspiration from those shots and try and recreate something similar - then come back here and post again... enjoy

Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:47 PM   #18
Super Moderator

edited out unnecessary remark
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:02 PM   #19
Super Moderator

alright.. i think this thread has digressed far enough.. and of course part of blame is on myself, in which i am not real proud of..

but here is the deal..

it is fine to give your opinions on why you thought your shot worked, or what you were going for.. so you can challenge others comments/critiques.. but there is a way to do it..

the way that you presented those websites in your own defense, had a very defensive/sarcastic connotation.. and as you see, that does not go over well with people..

had you instead said.. "is my photo not similar to these (insert website)?" or " i was using these (insert website)as my example, are they not similar" or " this was the look i was going for (insert website), what is different".. something like that fosters good exchanges and goes further to ingratiate you with other forum members rather than alienate them..

this is a great place to learn, and all of us do learn many things.. so.. if we want to try this again, i am sure others will forgive n forget as well..

-dustin
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:09 PM   #20

My apology

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
alright.. i think this thread has digressed far enough.. and of course part of blame is on myself, in which i am not real proud of..

but here is the deal..

it is fine to give your opinions on why you thought your shot worked, or what you were going for.. so you can challenge others comments/critiques.. but there is a way to do it..

the way that you presented those websites in your own defense, had a very defensive/sarcastic connotation.. and as you see, that does not go over well with people..

had you instead said.. "is my photo not similar to these (insert website)?" or " i was using these (insert website)as my example, are they not similar" or " this was the look i was going for (insert website), what is different".. something like that fosters good exchanges and goes further to ingratiate you with other forum members rather than alienate them..

this is a great place to learn, and all of us do learn many things.. so.. if we want to try this again, i am sure others will forgive n forget as well..

-dustin