Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:53 PM   #1

jack52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:43 PM   #2

i think you might want to post these in the "Stupid Pet Tricks" forum.
i think they're cool photos of your bird but were you lookin for critiques of the photos?
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:26 AM   #3

I did post the one in Stupid pet tricks. However I wanted critques of both here. These are two completely different photos. I would like some feedback on them.

johnsonM86 wrote:
Quote:
i think you might want to post these in the "Stupid Pet Tricks" forum.
i think they're cool photos of your bird but were you lookin for critiques of the photos?
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4

both pics suffer from the effects of harsh flash. The 1st, besides being slightly overexposed, suffers from bad focus. The focus should usually be set on the eyes..here it looks like it is on the beak. The shadow on the wall is also distracting.

The 2nd...exposure is also off as is the white balance (a little too blue, most likely due to the flash). Also, there are just too many competing elements (3 birds and the 2 pics on the wall) to hold interest. The captions should go as well.

As was suggested, these are nice snapshots to document your pets over the years, but have little artistic value beyond the photographer.

If you're looking to do something more artistic, try to capture them in a more natural state..amongst plants or outside of the cage, perched on areal branch. Or you could use natural window lighting and try to capture as a portrait (I thnink this is where you were going with pic 1), where you show the whole bird. Birds are small enough that there is no need to crop so only their heads are showing.

Good luck
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:00 PM   #5

My eyes must be bad as I thought it was in focus...
I will try difused or bounce flash next time...

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
both pics suffer from the effects of harsh flash. The 1st, besides being slightly overexposed, suffers from bad focus. The focus should usually be set on the eyes..here it looks like it is on the beak. The shadow on the wall is also distracting.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:20 PM   #6

In my opinion there's no compostion to the first photo.. it's like a bad crop error. All I see is a pic of a bird in both photos.. there's no real 'point' to them.. ya know?

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:11 PM   #7

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion there's no compostion to the first photo.. it's like a bad crop error. All I see is a pic of a bird in both photos.. there's no real 'point' to them.. ya know?

What I wanted was a PORTRAIT of my parrot without any distractions.

I got som of my ideas from here, (the owl, the heron and the bear)

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/...articleID=1158

More head shots with bad crop errors...
http://www.petsyclopedia.com/-info/p...005/01-jan.xml

Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:26 PM   #8

I don't know that the crop is the problem (although its not great IMO). The difference between your photo's and the photo's you've provided the links to is what's going on in the photo. In each of those images, there is something happening that is clearly illustrated by the image (except the owl...I'm sure it was difficult to capture, and technically nice, but doesn't do much for me). The animals are all portrayed doing something in their natural environment....like the recommendations I gave in my earlier post. I think that's what vwmom was getting at (not putting words in her mouth)..your images are not technically great, nor do they tell a story which quite frankly limits their appeal.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:49 PM   #9
Super Moderator

jack52 wrote:
Quote:
vwmom wrote:
Quote:

Well then I guess these are a bad crop error too, (the owl, the heron and the bear)

sarcasm will get you no where..

and comparing your photos to these is not helping your cause.. there isa wide margin of technical and artistic difference.. not even the same league ok?

the first shot is overexposed, and the white balance is too cool.. the shadow on the wall is not good and the crop is awkward..

the 2nd shot.. do you really want a critique on this one.. because it does not look like you put much thought into the composition here.. its really quite a mess..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:25 PM   #10

As for the second photo, it IS telling a story...

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
jack52 wrote:
Quote:
vwmom wrote:
Quote:

Well then I guess these are a bad crop error too, (the owl, the heron and the bear)

sarcasm will get you no where..

and comparing your photos to these is not helping your cause.. there isa wide margin of technical and artistic difference.. not even the same league ok?

the first shot is overexposed, and the white balance is too cool.. the shadow on the wall is not good and the crop is awkward..

the 2nd shot.. do you really want a critique on this one.. because it does not look like you put much thought into the composition here.. its really quite a mess.