Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:03 AM   #11

Very good exposure, brings out the details: colour, sharpness and balance in light. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:14 AM   #12
Super Moderator

the car is level.. so it is probably on a slight hill.. but if you look at the water as it meets the city, it is a bit tipped..

since it is a distinct line, it is more noticeable than if the car was slightly off i think.. you could also selectively just rotate the horizon by cutting in the water above the car, then fixing the horizon and filling in the resultant gaps with the clone tool, but that would be rather difficult to do..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:36 PM   #13

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
the car is level.. so it is probably on a slight hill.. but if you look at the water as it meets the city, it is a bit tipped..

since it is a distinct line, it is more noticeable than if the car was slightly off i think.. you could also selectively just rotate the horizon by cutting in the water above the car, then fixing the horizon and filling in the resultant gaps with the clone tool, but that would be rather difficult to do..
I noticed the difference, (very slight difference) when I first cropped the pix. Since I run a Corvette forum, I felt since the Vette was the main object, that I should level that.

Now, from a photo criteque, it should be level at the waterline where it meets the city, correct? Maybe I'll do both and post it here for comparision?

When I have time, I will try what you suggested with cloning...
jack52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:02 PM   #14

The EXIF is the photo info (apeture, iso, etc).. Depending on what programs you use, maybe someone can help you pull up the info.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:09 PM   #15

I think this picture works well! As mentioned above, I can see the car about to take off into the water. Nice combination of elements.

When I look at the angle you shot from, the buildingsmay not be flush with the plane of the camera. You can see part of one side of the buildings, but not the other.So, if thebuildings are parallell with the water line, you will have the look of a slanted water line even if yourcamera is perfectly leveled. In other words, the water line may not be parallell with the plane of your camera at that vantage point.

Even if yourcar is on level ground, youmay still end up with some crookedness. If you were to try this again tilting the camera to adjust the water line, Iwonder if it would look unnatural or not? Nice shot!

Thomas.
ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:16 PM   #16

I think having the waterline straight is more important, as that is where the eye is led by the car. I don't think you'd even notice if the car was a degree or two off. (It's sure nice having grid lines in my D70s viewfinder). Overall sharpness is very good...lots of detail in the buildings. I think the white balance may be a tad cool...but that may just be me. Nice job!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:22 PM   #17

Very nice shot. I think the crop on the left bothers me just a tiny bit. I think it is the shadow of the building and the imbalance of the car's right to left placement but that is being really picky on my part.

"It is very cool !!!"

RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:33 PM   #18

Okay, I made the waterline and building perfectly level with each other.
Used Abobe Photoshop Rotate canvas/Arbitrary/Angle/cw.5
Next, I will try to level both in Photoshop. This will take a little work.

compare to this one where the Vette is level and waterline is off just a tad.

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:52 PM   #19
Super Moderator

i like it better.. since it is such a strong line, lining it up seems more effective than lining up the car..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:31 PM   #20

Okay folks here it is, the waterline/building/Vette level