Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:00 PM   #1

Part of the frame of an old truck I found one early Sunday morning. Iliked the frost. I think I have too much boken!
Attached Images

RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

it is pleasant enough, but i am not sure if the hole is something i would have focused on.. i think you could make more of the lines of the frame, and possibly found something a little more interesting to use as your focal point.. experiment with it if you get back there..

also a little terminology thing for reference.. bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus background and not the quantity.. so if you think you have too much that is out of focus you would say i have too little depth of field, rather than too much bokeh.. but if you are describing how the out of focus area looks, you would say, very nice bokeh on this one, and that would be read as "smooth, creamy out of focus area"..

cheers,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:36 PM   #3

Thanks Dustin,

I appreciate your comments on this series. Next time I'll pull the weeds and take a tripod so I can carefully control my focal point.

PS.

I visited your site. You have some great shots.

Dave
Attached Images

RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:36 PM   #4

Dave, your second shot - the one with the curved frame piece showing the grass growing through - is really a very nice shot. it's obviously the remains of a vehicle, but equally clearly one that's been abandoned and left to rust to the frame rails, and the subtle shadings and tonal variations of the rusty metal are captured very well. that's the sort of thing i'd be looking for. the close-up is nice as an exercise in fine detail, but like Dustin said, it seems to lack a central point of interest. it needs something to capture a viewer's attention and interest. old rusted vehicles can often provide very striking photos, and often lend themselves well to B&W as well, since it sometimes seems to capture the feeling of ageand decay better than color.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:21 PM   #5

Learnt something here about terminology. Thanks. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote