Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Super Moderator

The mountain (Eastern sentinel in the background) doesn't appear terribly sharp, but that I think was down to atmospheric conditions. My DOF calculator assures me that if the front section is sharp (as it appears to be) then the lens is extracting maximum sharpness all the way to infinity too.

It occurs to me that this is one of the very few photos I have taken using in-camera JPG lately. Perhaps that is a factor too.

The weather/light on Saturday was fantastic with clouds and sun and highly saturated colours making for a much higher percentage of keepers than I normally get.

Your thoughts most welcome.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:44 AM   #2

This is well-composed and visually interesting. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough dynamic range to see the picture. I would suggest either using a GND to lessen the gulf between the sky and the foreground or take two images at different exposure and combine them in PhotoShop.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:06 PM   #3

wow, nice shot- it is beautifully composed. i would think there is a way to save this image- the top is a little hazy/washed out but not terrible.....i'm sure someone here will have an idea(sorry it's not me, lol)
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:46 PM   #4

Personally, I think the Sentinel has ethereal presence to it. But if you prefer a little more contrast or "punch", here is what I experimented with. I hope it's OK to play with images.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:22 PM   #5

The valley comes through much more cleanly on my monitor with the second image. In both of them, there is an odd artifact on my monitor at least. The mountains and valley look rather like a cardboard cut-out that has a real sky for a background. I don't know whether this is all part of too little dynamic range in the digital camera to capture the necessary gradations across the field of view or not, but that is my suspicion.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:03 PM   #6
Super Moderator

its not dynamic range that is the problem here, its the haze from atmospheric conditions.. and not a whole heck of a lot you can do about that..

i think one of the reasons you might be seeing it as cutout looking is that i think this was taking at a moderate to telephoto focal length, which tends to stack up objects and lessen the apparent difference..

i like this shot craig.. the diagonals work really nice making for a nice composition.. too bad the day wasnt a bit less humid, it would have helped the saturation of the far mountain a bit.. but hey, you made the most of it and came away with a nice image..

-dustin

this fixes the haze, but i couldnt pull any more contrast out..
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:09 PM   #7

i wonder how an IR conversion would make this look? may be cool... just a thought.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:15 PM   #8

The edits have improved upon the original but the haze at the top remains a factor. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:25 AM   #9

i really like this shot. the composition is excellent, and the whole thing reminds me of something from Edgar Rice Burroughs' "The Lost World"... very imposing, more than a little mysterious... a polarizer might've helped with the haze a bit, and also enhanced the contrast between sky and clouds, as well as the saturation, which might've made the haze a bit less noticeable, but it's a fine shot as it is! still, since others have, i took the liberty of a few quick tweaks in Photoshop to bring up the blue in the sky a bit and give it a little more contrast...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:39 AM   #10

It's like something right from Lord of the Rings.. I love it!
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote