Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:57 AM   #1

guys'

i am not quite sure if my low light shot here was pleasing.
need some advice from you or any comment so that i can get another shot. trying what you can advice.

nikon d70s
ISO 200
EXPOSURE 13"
APERTURE 1/13
FOCAL 70mm
EXPOSURE COMP +2 STEP THIS WHAT CONFUSING ME
WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST ABOUT EXPUOSURE VALUE SETTINGS.

THANKS GUYS FOR MORE COMMENT
Attached Images

scorpionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:42 AM   #2

In fact I am also one of those who desperately need the information you requested. So, I cannot help but add a few more words about this issue.
You've got a winner camera without doubt, and your shot is good. but I think it could be magnificent. If you check out the following link, you'll see what one can do even with a point and shoot camera: http://www.photo.net/photos/hpic
When exposure compansation is manually set, the camera increases of dicreases the amount of light either by changing shutter speed or aperture value. So, I'd rather set the shutter speed or aperture value on my own to compansate the indicated - or + value , than directly setting the compansation value. Any comment on this issue please?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3

Night scenes are very intriguing to me. They are difficult to get right because there is such extreme contrast. They are also open for very wide personal interpretation. I played with it a little bit, and I like this a little better. But you might not.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4

I guess I'm not sure what the subject is in this photo. None of the foreground buildings really appear to be the primary focal point and there are no particular patterns that grab one's attention. I'd try this again, looking for either a particular building to focus on or to emphasize a line of lights going down a street, etc., some sort of pattern.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:13 AM   #5

That is a very good point. You have a lot of highlights in two corners of your image and that can cause confusion. I tried cropping the image to give a little more emphasis to the lighted building. But I think you could probably have done a little better job but if you had use the zoom on your camera.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:01 PM   #6

I personally like the edited shot that is not cropped. The cropped one lacks interest. I would expose it a few seconds less or up the aperture from F13 to F16. Otherwise, it is a great shot.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:42 AM   #7

guys

thanks for the comments and thanks for sharing idea. i guest your right that there is no detailed subject to it, i just got confuse how to apply the exposure value the momment like this. anyhow i really apreciated your comment.

thanks

scorpion
scorpionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:17 PM   #8
Super Moderator

no subject for me too. its just a flat scene of some buildings at night. plus the slightly looking down vantage point doesnt work for me. find yourself an interesting subject to be the highlight, whether it be a building of interest, a sign, a person, whatever and then let the city flow out from this central point of interest.

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote