Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:40 PM   #1

I took this shot of a Magpie flying out of a fir tree. www.bevbarkerphotos.comwww.k9images.com
Attached Images

barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:15 PM   #2

Hi Bev,

I like the shot, and you captured the motion of the bird nicely.

I took the liberty of looking at your site; you have some lovely images there and I don't think this one is up to your usual quality (which is very high, I might add!).

I think the DOF is too high / aperture too small, such that the background is distracting. Alternatively, if you did have the aperture pretty wide open (can't get the EXIF data from the image) the background is so close that it's remained in focus, and there's not too much you can do in this case! The most distracting part for me is the tree trunk that cuts across the tail of the bird.

Ideally the bird would be sharper.

One final thing is that for me, the photo lacks context - I can't tell where the bird is going to; and you've captured the motion of the bird so well that I feel like I need to know where it's going!

Hope this helps even a little - you probably knew most of those things already

Best wishes,

-Ben

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:02 PM   #3

Hi, Thanks Ben for your comments, they are very constructive and very right! i dont think its helped croppingthe imageas tight as i did either, and il admit that it was'nt a very thought out shot, but the bird just came out of the fir tree and i aimed and fired! not the cleverest thing to do. regards. Bev. p.s. Nice to hear you liked my other images. Thanks.
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:03 PM   #4

I can see the effort. Perhaps try using a tripod next time. Regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 1:08 AM   #5

I totally agree with Ben.

But hey, total kudos to you as I know how fast birds can be and they say the more you practise, the better you get at capturing birds...well, I sure need to develop the patience for that....so yeah, I admire your ability to get out there and capture a bird in flight....

~~StitchBabe~~

StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:44 PM   #6

Magpies are on my list too. This one is a good shot, they are hard to get. (For me at any rate... way harder than ducks) Too bad he is on such an even angle, wings and tail are neither up nor down, and these are magnificent fliers. They dip, dive, and roll like acrobats, but this guy looks like he's just holding his breath and free falling. Very nice detail. I hope I can get the same detail as this in a shot of one, for myself, but with more of a display. Good work...lovely bird.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote