Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:07 AM   #1

Pershap this is much more interesting. I doctored the grain look. Pp, yes. All comments are welcome. Regards Jaki.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:52 AM   #2

Was the flame the only light source? Maybe try it as a vertical shot so the flame is not cropped on the top to much. I like the grain.

Kevin
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:47 AM   #3

Kevin, I used the light flashlight too but greatly toned it down. About the flame, that was about the flame there is. Nothing cropped. But appreciate comment. Thanks for looking. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:54 AM   #4

You've really got to start asking yourself these questions.

Why do you have a 2 degree angle. And why not sort that out.

Why would you crop so close to the top of the flame. If this came out of camera, then why would you think it an acceptable composition. ie re-shoot with enough framing around the subject.

Why would you keep what looks to be an unattractive hanging piece of material as the background. Its baggyunattractive and distracting from your minimalistic tones.It could be edited away or fixed.There is also a dark horizontal line there cutting through the middle,that looks - not good.

The positives are the tones, and the noise effects in this case and I suppose the thought of what you were going after. Let down badly by simpleamateur typeflaws here.

Jaki - I mean .... ???????

I have to be hard on you :blah:just think you can do better with a bit of thought and self critique.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:14 AM   #5

Jaki,

I totally agree with LBoy but think the effect applied here has merit. Would be interested to see a re-shoot...

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:59 AM   #6

I prefer the color photo. The flame on this one is too close to the top edge and the photo looks too grainy/noisy, etc. for my taste.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:12 PM   #7

I think you had the right idea and this shot has a lot of potential but I agree with some of the others that there is a slight angle and you may have gotten too close to the flame, as my personal preference I think there might just a little too much grain but thats only a personal preference, and if you weren't using a tripod you may want to next time to get the angle out but again great idea!!
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:57 PM   #8

hey leave him alone. maybe one of his legs is shorter than the others.......

Other than the points Lboy brought up, I like this shot. Intentional grain is not my favorite thing but this is one of the selct cases where it adds to the shot.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:15 PM   #9

ok to add here and be more positive.

Just pull back a little. Set up your curtain or material or whatever you are using and have a nice smooth radius between the base and the background vertical. Make sure you have a large enough base though so that it doesnt cut through your photograph, or that your subject is sitting at the edge.

Go for some of that grain, but only half as much. Together with the monotone and I think this will look really quite good.

Your subject position is fine. Like I say pull back enough so that the subject is nicely bordered by your background. Lets see the full extent of that shadow on the base and the tones it gives off.

nice one....

LB
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:45 PM   #10

i like the idea of this very much. the flame is too¬* close to the top and you could take LBoy's advice....but- the off center composition is very nice and the graininess adds to the mood of the shot....definitely worth re-shooting i think you are onto something here
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote