Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:04 AM   #1

I am still learning to shot still life in this mode. I like the background and that the clear white and moroon red blends in well.

Shooting Mode: Manual Exposure
Shutter Speed: 30
Aperture Value: 5.0
Metering Mode: Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed: 200
Lens: 105.0 mm
Focal Length: 105.0 mm
Image Quality: RAW
Flash: On, External E-TTL
PP: yes.
Your comments are most appreciated.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:06 AM   #2

This picture is the same as the original above except that I have added a deliberate artistic flair - oil paint look. Regards. Jaki.
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:32 AM   #3

great concept, and i love the clear and crimson. one suggestion might be to shoot this with only one fruit on the table. as it is, it's just a little too symmetrical... i think the overall effect would be better with a less "balanced" look to it. lose the fruit on the left, it looks a little darker and less appealing than the one on the right...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:55 AM   #4

i agree about the composition, it seems "too tidy" in a way. too symetrical and the center fruit/glass is well...too centered. the exposure seems good and i love the color combination going on here. the color, texture and shape of the fruit work nicely with the glass. the fruit in the glass seems soft, which i think is just distortion of being in the glass not a focus issue... this may bother me because it is centered though. i like the oil paint effect too, it adds a pleasing touch to the image. it is nice to see you experimenting with many different types of shots and situations- keep it up .....thanks for sharing jaki!
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:13 AM   #5

Ok Squirel and Julie, the colour of the fruit is as it was on the actual fruit. I have cloned that one out, cropped a bit to move the subject out of the centre. Hope that it makes a difference.

Spuirel, you have been around as long as I remember. You have always supported me by your comments. Just want to say I really appreciate.

Julie no one inspired me more than you and you were always willing to share your knowledge. You can always consider yourself having taught the student - Jaki.

Thank you for always being there for me. Regards. Jaki.
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:21 AM   #6

Oilpaint look. Thanks for looking. Regards. Jaki
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:11 AM   #7

Jaki, I like the simplicity of all of these and the fact that the background is completely black. How did you achieve this. Did you have to paint it out afterwards or use something very non-reflective? Or both?
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:46 AM   #8

Malinestreak, thanks for appreciating. I used a black cloth, I turned it on the back side that does not reflect light. I was actually trying it out and it worked. I heard that velvet is also good. Ask in a store around you to see what they have.

I did play witht the curves and levels slightly. That is all about I did. Regards. Jaki.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:16 AM   #9

Looks like I need to make a run to the fabric store.

I like the simplicity and colors of the photo, too. Very striking red against the black with the clear glass accenting.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:58 AM   #10

hi jaki, i think this is much improved .¬* i really like the combination of the red fruit and clear glass against the black background, very striking. i have used different black fabrics for background, i do find the black velvet to be the best¬* but as long as you're aware of your lighting and subject placement other fabrics work well too. again, the oil-paint look is a nice effect for this image. i am glad to help anytime i can, i am just so pleased you are enjoying photography
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote