Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:03 PM   #1

Hi,

I just discovered this forums and think they're great!

Here's a picture I took on a rainy/sunny day near Inverness. This image is compressed to 57% of the original to fit within posting size limitations. The sky seems to be a little streaky compared to the original and I don't know how much that camoflouges the rainbow. It was somewhat faint in the original.

I didn't have a polarizing filter when I took this picture and am wondering if that would've helped make the rainbow brighter?

Thanks,
Shelli
Attached Images

Shelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:36 PM   #2

Sorry double post!
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:40 PM   #3

Hi Shelli, welcome to the forum. I hope you will find something here. Nice pic here but I cannot see the rainbow. I thought there was a lot of space in the sky, cropped and warmed a little bit. Hope you don't mind. Regards. Jaki.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome!

I've added a line where the rainbow actually is in the picture for reference on this one. As for your "warming" the picture, I don't mind. I put it out there for comments etc. However, it really was a cold day, so I think the grey tones are more accurate to the mood of the scene.

Shelli
Attached Images

Shelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:50 PM   #5

Ok, Shelli, thanks for the infor. Keep posting and let us see more of your shots. Regards. Jaki.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:00 AM   #6

Hi Shelli

As Jaki said welcome to the forum. I like you just stumbled into these forums one day and have been regularly visiting ever since! A little word of warning there are some real characters on here...

OK so with regards to your photo, I am not sure of how technical you are with regards to post processing. I took your photo offline and tried to modify the curves, levels, shadows & highlights, in fact every tool that Photoshop has! And unfortunately the rainbow is just a faint memory... it seems a I would imagine it to have been a nice view.

Imyself do not know about a polarizing filter - I can only guess that you may be right. It certainly should cut out some of the glare from the bland looking UK skies...

Look forward to more posts from you in the future.

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

yea.. the rainbow is a bit faint to be the subject of this picture. and the bland sky lets you down for sure.

i think a polarizing filter would not help here, it may cause the rainbow to disappear completely, not sure.

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:39 PM   #8

Hi Shelli,

It looks to me that maybe, for the image size, the quality setting you used is a little low to see the rainbow well on line. My suggestion would be to resize the image to around 750 pixels wide, then saving at a higher quality setting. You may get better results, and we would be able to get a better idea.

I have a few rainbow shots, and they are generally not to impressive right from the camera, and tend to need considerable saturation increse to be presentable.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote