Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1

plarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

first off welcome to the forum, i hope that you will enjoy the learning process and the fun we have here.

there are a few issues here.

first off is the lack of a good focal point, or a point of interest in the shot. i am unsure of what you meant to be your main interest? it looks to be a lot of background without a subject.

second issue is lack of contrast. you have a lot of middle grey tones here without any black. this can be addressed by first adjusting your "levels" and then adding in some contrast.

thanks for sharing and look forward to more.
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:18 PM   #3

I actually liked the look of the stone wall with the shadows against it, but in retrospect, I can see what you mean about the lack of a focal point. Lack of contrast is something that someone else mentioned about another one of my photos, so it's certainly something I need to be more aware of.

Is it better do make these modifications when taking the shot or just dealing with contrast issues after the fact in Photoshop?

Thanks for the comments!

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
first off welcome to the forum, i hope that you will enjoy the learning process and the fun we have here.

there are a few issues here.

first off is the lack of a good focal point, or a point of interest in the shot. i am unsure of what you meant to be your main interest? it looks to be a lot of background without a subject.

second issue is lack of contrast. you have a lot of middle grey tones here without any black. this can be addressed by first adjusting your "levels" and then adding in some contrast.

thanks for sharing and look forward to more.
dustin
plarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the first step is to get a proper exposure when you are taking your picture with good focus. that will be the first part of getting good contrast.

then the rest can be done in photoshop.

start with the "levels" when you look at the histogram. if the black areas do not extend to the edges, bring in the outer sliders until they touch where the black starts. then use the middle one to tweak the exposure if it changed it.

then you can adjust contrast simply in the "brightness contrast" tool.which is probably the easiest for someone just starting in photoshop.

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote