Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:03 PM   #1

A few days ago, I was reading an old photography magazine from the eighties. There was an article on macro photography, in this article it said, "You could find great subjects in your kitchen drawers," and those words inspired me... Yesterday I was digging in the kitchen drawers (Looking for a subject) Where these blender pieces caught my eye, I took them into my room, put them on my desk to try a woodlike background, and shot off a few shots. This is my first "real" attempt at macro photography, but I'll let you be the judge...

Attached Images

Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:20 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i think its great to try to get photos of everyday objects and make them interesting.

this doesnt quite work.

i think the lighting let you down, its not dramatic enough, leaving the scene a bit flat.

maybe try some directional lighting, try like a flexible light or something that you can adjust the angle of the light. try some different positions, like strong side-lighting, etc.

also, the composition is a bit flat as well. try some angles you would not normally look at this object from. shoot from lower, to give it some depth. use the lines of the object to make some interesting angles in your shot, shoot from low and use the stem to lead into the shot, etc. don't be afraid to take a lot of shots and then see what works and what doesn't.

you also may try some other objects, and combos of other objects. contrast textures and shapes, etc.

best of luck
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:04 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions out as soon as I can, and see the difference for myself.

Thanks again, for the critique.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4

Still I like the colours. Sergeant keep posting. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:30 PM   #5

Thanks Aumma.

I actually did go back a try those suggestions, I'm still working on it, but I'm going to back and try again today, except with another lighting situation as yesterday.

Thanks again.