Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1

Taken with a Nikon D70.
Attached Images

carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:48 PM   #2

I'm not too sure about this one... I think the perspective doesn't work for me, but the picture is nice, I haven't seen anything like this. You did a pretty good job at not overexposing the water too much, but there are a couple of patches that are overexposed, they aren't really noticeable though.
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:04 PM   #3

I do not understand what you mean by the perspective not working for you.¬* I stood on a pier and shot what you see.¬* I did not do anything about the perspective. The ocean is vast and there is no visable vanishing point. Can you explain what you think I should have done?Caryl
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:09 PM   #4

What I mean is if it was possible, you could have gotten the shot from a different angle, it is a cool picture but that is just my opinion.
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:40 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i think shooting at an angle from the beach would give the shot some more depth as well.. with this shot, i think a crop off the bottom might be helpful..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:49 PM   #6

Hi Caryl,

OK so I know that you posted a shot before with a photoshopped sky - are you guilty again? :-) The sky does look like it belongs somewhere else...

Interesting that the wave formations have almost two "peaks" - really strange how the colours are so different too ... I would be very suprised if this was what was actually happening - and if it was, where is it?

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:20 PM   #7

Dom.¬* You are fun.¬* Yes the sky was added BUT¬* there were more than 2 peaks.¬* I cropped out one.¬* This is in Pacifica , Ca. Have you heard of the Maverick surfing contest?¬* It is the wildest in the world?¬* Well, these are waves the day before that contest right here on the coast of California, south of San Francisco. I have many shots of them.¬* I took them from the Pacifica Pier at any angle I could and not get my camera wet.¬* I will psot some with the original flat boring sky just for you.Caryl
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:56 AM   #8

it looks like there's something lost in the mistbehind the wave... not sure if that's land, a cloud bank, or what? but it seems to distract from the smooth transition from sea to sky... the breaking surf is good, though i'd have shot an angle more parallel to the beach, to capture the "Banzai Pipeline" effect of the curling wave. it's a littlesoft,but i like how you captured the translucence of the water with the light showing through.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:46 AM   #9

The only thing behind the mist is another wave about to break.¬* They were coming fast and furious.¬* Surely you did not mean that you thought what was behind the mist should be more in focus?¬*Caryl
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:14 AM   #10

this isnt too bad, kinda pleasing to my eye... you should search through some more skies to PP in as that one doesnt look like the waves would be how they are on such a fine day, cheers
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote