Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:03 PM   #1

I previously posted this under the title Sunburst on Board. Toned down the saturation to reflect more the actual time of day and made some other changes you might notice... Thoughts welcome.
Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:25 PM   #2

There is a dark, smokey something just left of the chimney thingy that is quite off putting. Also, with the resize down I think you have lost the provocative detail of the figure and the image it is trying to portray.

Otherwise it's Ok. Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:51 PM   #3

This is a pretty cool shot, I would like to follow into that door. The only thing that bothers me is that the shadow doesnt belong if you do picky thing like follow the light sources. To the casual observer, it is nice work though.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:10 AM   #4

LBoy, have seen this before- ship. It is cool. Don't know what else you would want us to say. :G. Seriously, this was a winner. Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:10 AM   #5

Quote:
There is a dark, smokey something just left of the chimney thingy that is quite off putting.
haha,

yip well that is the exhaust smoke syd.

tigger,

will have another try at the shadow. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:36 AM   #6

Its not bad at all. Just that is no light source that would make that shadow (for example if the sun was your "source" then the smokestack and building would be casting big shadows thenselves. (not to mention that they would be blocking the light that would make the shadow on the girl. If the light over the door was strong enough to be the source, then you would see some effect of the light on the area in fron of the door which it doesnt seem to be doing. It would take some serious PSing work to rectify any of these scenarios that 99.99 percent of people probably dont think about anyways

As is I like what you have done. Its adds to the scene I think.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:00 AM   #7
LT7

Just looking at it, great picture, but when you study it, it is as Tigger states above, BUT very nice picture for the untrained eye, IMHO.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
LBoy, have seen this before- ship. It is cool. Don't know what else you would want us to say. :G. Seriously, this was a winner. Regards. Jaki

Jaki, I'm not trying to flog a dead horse here. The picture is very different to the last one I posted. I wanted some feedback to the figure I addedand regarding thefeel and composition. When you start manipulating photo's its quite important to get a feel from others if things are turning out acceptably realistic.

Regarding the shadows: I think if I remove the sunburst on this one and move the shadow somewhat it might help the geometry and mathematics your coming up with regarding the shadows.

Actually shadows don't work the way you think sometimes. What if there is a stronger light emitting from a sourse you cant see, for instance above (spotlight) Also don't forget that when you stitch a shot between 90 and 180 degrees the shadows tend to lie in different directions from the perceived light source. But yes, there needs some work there I think.

I was actually wondering if the picture was pleasing and what thoughts if any popped into your head regarding the composition.

original photo posted :

Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
What if there is a stronger light emitting from a sourse you cant see, for instance above (spotlight)
If its making a shadow, then the light itself would have to be visable on the background ( an area of light around the shadow, lighter than the rest of the scene) where the shadow is, or else there would be no shadow. Since everything is evenly lit, the viewer can assume there are no spotlights off camera.Plus, the direction of the shadow means the light source must be coming from the light over the door, as there is a wall right in front of the model. If you had the shadow cast on the wall, there could be some mystery source.

regardless. like I said this is a sweet shot. If this wasnt on a crtiques forum, I probably wouldnt have even thought to look for things like the above.....
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:27 PM   #10

The shadow of the woman is in line with the right side of the ships shadows. I like this as much as the "Barbershop" shot. Great work and the saturation and shadows work well together here.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote