Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:57 PM   #11

My shot seems to have been recreated. After the cropping, ready to exist in an art history book! Showed it to a few people, and they are all amazed. I hope GoCups could be patient enough to give some further key instructions of this great job.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:13 PM   #12

I use Photoshop elementsSo thats what I am basing my instructions on. Bring up levels by either ctrl+L or Enhance>Birghtness>Levels. Then if there is any unused space in the histogram I bring the sliders in so they just about touch the end points. If you have a color cast, you can then set the white, black or grey points using the eyedroppers. The middle one is the grey one. I didn't like what the white one did by selecting a point in the overhaed lights, so I tried the grey dropper and clicked around on the base, where the shadow from the statue was sitting, until I liked the colors best. They can change greatly from point to point so you really just have to play around untill you like it. You can always hit cancel and start over. I think the settings for the sharpening was Unsharp Mask 400,0.2,0. There is another way to fix a color cast with elements Enhance>Color>ColorCast, and that will give you one eyedropper to chose your grey point.

You could also just get rid of the background altogether. I selected the background, using the lasso tool and used the scissors to cut it out, making sure my background color was a nice grey color. I then cleaned up anything I missed with the eraser. As always typing the instructions will take twice as long as the adjustments themselves.

There may be better ways of doing these things, but I learned just by playing so I may not know what the heck I'm doing. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:20 PM   #13

Thanx for your generous explanation, GoCups.It's been quite satisfactory indeed. I also feel thankful for the fellow members who have shown interest either by simply viewing or contributing with their valuable thoughts.
Oh, please do not take this as a farewell speech for this particular topic, I would definetely would like to hear more for the sake of the Mother Goddess who prefers to show off in dimness!!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:44 AM   #14

Excellent edit!

With all your skills I'll bet you're frustrated that you can't make the Cubs look better.
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:56 AM   #15

A very useful little tutorial, GoCubs - I didn't realise that could be done. Thanks for the pointer and a great edit.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:41 PM   #16

Africa wrote:
Quote:
Excellent edit!

With all your skills I'll bet you're frustrated that you can't make the Cubs look better.
Thanks Africa, Ahhh yes, if only I could photoshop Kerry Wood's right arm... Well that would be a start at least.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote