Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:25 AM   #11

Hi there SteveDak - Surprised that you didn't get any exif info. I had no problem getting same. My camera is a Canon 300D. I had borrowed a lens from my photo store until the one I ordered came in. No it didn't have a UV lens.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:46 AM   #12

I was fortunate to be in the area for two weeks last summer, one climbing the Grand and the second working for Kodak in Yellowstone.

You may already have all the info you need but I highly recommend the book/booklet -

The Best of Grand Teton National Park by Charles Craighead, Photographer Henry Holdsworth.

It's a small 56-page book with all kinds of "Best" lists including best spots for photography, viewing sunsets and sunrise, lake views, etc. Most of the lists are just another catelogue of places to shoot from. It has easy to read maps & directions, great (albiet small) photos, and it's just $4.00!!

My only problem was that I didn't stumble accross this little gem until my week in Yellowstone.

Africa

Actually I had another problem, stumbling down the Grand lead to the lose of two toenails.
Attached Images

Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:36 AM   #13

Nice edit, Africa.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:33 AM   #14

Thanks Africa for the tip on the book. @ $4.00 how could one go wrong. :?What program did you use to edit my photo? I can't get anything near what you and GoCubs was able to obtain.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:28 PM   #15

I forgot to record everyting I did but here's approximation of the steps I took.

I used Photoshop 7 but everything I did is available in PS Elements 3 or 4 and Microsofts' Picture It series. I'm not sure the magnetic lasso is available on PSE 2, but if not, just use the regular lasso.

First I tried some Levels and Color Balance adjustments, both auto and manual. If I got the ground (from the lake line down) to look good then the mountains and sky didn't look good and vise-versa. So I knew I had to separate the two areas.

I used the magnetic lasso to draw a line at the top of the water's edge and encircled all the mountains and clouds. I think I just did an auto color (I tried auto levels but perferred the color cast left with auto color) and it snapped into place.

I then reversed my selection (Select>Inverse) so I was working on the botton and did auto colored again. I then desaturated the bottom by -15 (or so).

I deselected the lasso and finished with a little cloning at the edge between water and mountain to clean up the line created by the lasso.

Lasso Hints - I don't know your experience level with the lasso tool but once you get it figured out, this kind of change will take less than 5 minutes.

As you draw a line with the magnetic lasso don't worry how accurate it is and DO NOT try to go back and correct the line - just draw it as near the the line you want it to take and finish the capture loop (back to the start) - then you can correct any mistakes the computer has made.

To finish it, go to the regular lasso and you can add to the selected area by holding down the Shift key as you draw (always finish in a loop back to your starting point). To subtract areas hold down the Windows Flag (Apple) key as you draw.

Once you learn this puppy you'll spend far too much time abusing it - but its fun!

Africa

A link to the book -

http://www.grandtetonpark.org/abi002...=1429&CATID=84

As you go through Jackson, WY stop by Thomas Mangelsen's Studio, leave your wallet with a good friend who will not give it back until you've left!

See - www.imagesofnaturestock.com/index.htm

Also across the street and a hundred feet south from his place is another fine photo studio, can't remember the name of it but it is all large format stuff. One of the Muench family is displayed there and was in the store, very congenial and easy to talk to.

See - www.muenchphotography.com/
Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:43 PM   #16

Thank you for your detailed response. I just downloaded a trial version of PSE 4.0. Obiviously there are a lot more benefits and features to 4.0 than there is with 2.0 Now I guess that I should read up on the 4.0 program, for a hunt and peck approach is not the way to go with so many options available.

Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:31 PM   #17

Here's Chapter One of your Free book:

graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=graphicssoft&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arraich.co m%2Felements%2Fpse_basics1.htm

Chapter Two:
www.arraich.com/elements/ref2/aatoolbarV3.htm

Chapter Three:
www.arraich.com/elements/ref2/aapalettes2.htm

This site is one I recommend to my students. I learned that indeed PSE2 did have a magnetic lasso. In general I understand there was a big change between version 2 and 3 and smaller refinements between 3 & 4. Enjoy your new toy.

One more - www.graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselementscourse/

This one goes on forever:
http://www.photoshoproadmap.com/Phot...ents-tutorials

A list of things to learn:
www.myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm

I'll stop now cause I don't want to overwhelm you.

Africa

I've never done these two but they're just cool to look at.
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tuto.../displace.html
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tuto...ter-drops.html
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:03 PM   #18

Hi there Africa - Have never used the Lasso feature of PSE before. I appreciate that you took the time to point it out to me. It works just great. Particularily in photos where the foreground is in such contrast to the background as in the photo that I submitted. Thank you once again.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:53 PM   #19

Kanon wrote:
Quote:
Hey there GoCubs - which photo program did you use to adjust the first photo? I tried using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.2 which did inprove it some what. However, when the contrast was adjusted similar to your adjustment then I could see a pixel distortion if I increase the magnifaction a bit.
I use Photoshop Elements, the first version I believe. Wish I had CS or CS2. Oh what I wouldn't waste my money on if I had more disposable income.:?
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:02 PM   #20

Whoa - just took a peek at the selling price of the CS 2 and was I :shock:. One could get a real nice lens for that price.