Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:10 PM   #1

When shooting scenery over a long distance morning haze seems to compress making the photo kind of murky. How does one compensate for this scenario and can the picture be inproved with Adobe Photoshop.
Attached Images

Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:30 PM   #2

To get rid of the haze I ran a high pass sharpening filter, more contrast and a little more color saturation. Not sure what the settings on the HP sharp where, I have a plug-in and let it run on the defaults.

Edit: It might have been a little too much...
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:40 PM   #3

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

See the link above for a good discussion about the same problem you are having.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:47 PM   #4

Another successful recovery operation from GoCups. Very well I think..
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:18 PM   #5

Thanks GoCubs. Sure made a big difference. I have numerous photos that I took of the Tetons where most could use a touch up or two. Will be traveling up to that part of the country again this summer. Also this time I have a few additional pieces of glass that I am anxious to try out. Any suggestions whenshooting distant photo of this mountain range?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:35 PM   #6

I live about three hours from the Teton National Park. I'm looking forward to heading there this summer myself. I have found that it's usually best to shoot before about 10:30 AM and after 2 PM. You can probably reduce the haze by getting closer to the mountain range. But I really like your location on this one. Was it by any chance north of the Colter Bay area?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:01 PM   #7

Hey there jphess - mornings work real good for me. A number of these pictures I took from the walk way in back of the Jackson Lake Lodge. Here is one that I took at 5:32am. The first picture posted was at 10:30am. GoCubs rendering was a good illustration for me but a bit too sharp. Gives me something to work on. I am not that technical related in photography so the site he suggested was a bit more than my old brain could digest.:?:roll:
Attached Images

Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:22 PM   #8

Of course. I recognize the area now. I haven't devoted a lot of time to that particular location. I'm going to have to take a closer look there when I go this year. Here is another variation of your first submission for your consideration. The problem is, we all look at photos differently and are looking for something different. Tell me what you think of what I did.

Regards,
Jim
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:09 AM   #9

Hey there GoCubs - which photo program did you use to adjust the first photo? I tried using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.2 which did inprove it some what. However, when the contrast was adjusted similar to your adjustment then I could see a pixel distortion if I increase the magnifaction a bit.
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:48 PM   #10

Hi Kanon, Can't see any exif info so I'm not sure what camera you are using - did you use a UV filter when you shot the original? I findthe UV helps a lot with haze problems.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote