Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:27 PM   #1

This barn is sitting all by itselfin the middle ofnowhere. It really held my attention. Did I do it justice? All comments appreciated.

Kath
Attached Images

lizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:35 PM   #2

Lovely shot. Snow! I think it is well exposed, the B&W works though I think would have loved to see more contrast but that white makes it tricky. Did you try this from other angles? Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:49 PM   #3

Thanks Jaki. Here is the only other angle I took. I think it takes up too much of the frame?? I will try more contrast as well.
Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:35 AM   #4
LT7

Kath,

I like the first one better, what did the color version look like? I guess was the barn painted or was it just a natural wood color? Just curious. I do like the B&W though.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:43 AM   #5

Thanks LT, I took this shot in B&W, but the barn isactuallygreyish ...really old wood. No color left on it at all, (if there ever was any paint),I think the weather after all these years took care of that.

Kath
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:16 AM   #6
LT7

Thanks for answering my curiousity. I've been keeping an eye out here in the Midwest for old abandoned barns, but haven't really found any. Great job, keep it coming.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:32 AM   #7

I like the first one better too but the second is interesting because it shows that the barn is at a slight angle. A bit more contrast and you've got a nice photo, I think.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:21 AM   #8

I think both photos are great. The first has appeal because of the overall complexity/simplicity of the shot - the surrounding scenery, the snow! and the great barn. However, the 2nd shot lacks the snow and surrounding scenery but you nailed the barn especially the light coming through the slats at the far end as well as much more detail of the barn itself. I too notice the barn filling the frame in the 2nd shot, and keep think that a slightly less dead on angle might help that feeling, but then you might miss that wonderful light through the slats.

And, the B&W is just perfect.

I offer these thoughts as the utmost newb and with the deepest respect for the great photos seen here, including yours.

Thanks,

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:31 PM   #9

i like the composition of the first one also, it does need a little contrast boost or something. you may also want to try doing an infra-red effect on this- could be interesting. nice job though
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:34 PM   #10

sorry- double post.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote