Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:15 PM   #1
Administrator

Taken from the banks of the Ogeechee River

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:32 PM   #2

beautiful morning light, nice composition, great reflection detail- super!
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:36 PM   #3

Lovely reflections JimC. Looks like a very tranquil and beautiful spot.
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:40 PM   #4

Inspiring. That nice blue sky and those natural olive tones really make this image work.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:07 PM   #5
Administrator

I go to this location from time to time early on a Sunday morning with my brother-in-law. We usually get there around sunrise and stay for two or three hours.

He fishes, I take pictures. ;-)

It never seems to look the same (water levels, foilage colors, etc.). That one was taken at 8:12AM on a Sunday morning in November 2005.

It caught my eye when I was browing through some photos this afternoon. So, I decided to crop it to the aspect ratio for an 8x10" print, downsize it and post it here to see what others thought.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:18 PM   #6

Hey, Jim, have been on the forum for a couple of months. Have seen you post in many other places but not on the critique and technique forum. Welcome! :G. That shot is a real piece of art. Like Julie said just super! . Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:34 AM   #7
Administrator

I don't post here very often because my of my photos are not really keepers from my perspective. ;-)

This one was taken with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D using a Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 at 28mm, f/11, ISO 400, 1/100 second. Av Mode, default matrix metering with -0.3 EV Exposure Compensation.

That's a straight from the camera jpeg except for cropping and downsizing. I decided that I liked the color, contrast and saturation the way the camera produced it for this one. Sharpening, Contrast, and Saturation were all set to +1 via camera settings.

Usually, I dial back the contrast a bit to try and retain the most highlight and shadow detail in the jpeg (and shoot raw + jpeg for best results convertijng the raw file in PP, too). But, I was playing with the camera settings and decided that this one came out OK without any PP when bumping up the default camera settings some.

I almost didn't notice it at all (it caught my eye when browing through some photos yesterday that I had taken when down at the Ogeechee River in November)

So, I wanted to get some other opinions, too.

In hindsight, I think the distant foilage/water may have been a bit sharper if I used a larger aperture and faster shutter speed with it at the expense of a little DOF (but, those foreground leaves in focus, especially in the reflections, are interesting to me and add to the image). 1/100 second isn't very fast with wind blowing foilage and the river running. I don't remember where I focused for it.

So, I'd need to try it several ways to see if a faster shutter speed would have been a better way to go. Too late now (the river always seems to look different).

But, it works OK for me (and I could still sharpen it via USM if needed). I took quite a few that morning with several different lenses, and this one is the only one that really stood out as being framable to me.

Thanks for comments.

Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:13 AM   #8

hi jim/ this reallyis a nice shot, the only thing i would have tried to do is saturate the trees or bushes behind.

Alex
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:39 PM   #9

Oh Im counting the days for that weather where it looks warm so I can go Fishing already!
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:41 PM   #10

I think its all been said Jim - really nice reflections.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote