Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:04 AM   #1

After shooting literally hundreds of photos of the male Grackle I can't seem to get any detail in the feathers of the bird. I am beginning to believe that the color of the bird is the culprit. I have shot him in and out of the sunlight andI always use fill flash with an external flash. This is the best I have done so far.Any ideas or comments?

Thanks.

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:20 AM   #2

If its any consolation Jim, I have exactly the same problem withour black cat - don't think I've managed a half decent shot in nearly a year now. Think the contrast has a lot to do with it. Can never seem to get a decentfocus with either of my cameras through auto focus.

Be interested to see what info arises from this post.

Very nice pic, by the way

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Administrator

You may want to try dialing back the cameras settings for contrast a bit to get more detail in both shadows and highlights.

By default, the Kodak models seem to have parameters like contrast and saturation set higher than most competing models when processing images.

More contrast gives you more "punch". But, it can mask detail in darker subjects like this bird. Dialing back contrast settings with your editor when post processing can also help (to a point, since if contrast is set too high in the camera, you'll lose the detail for PP purposes).

Edit:

Oops.. My bad. I don't see a contrast adjustment with your camera unless we missed it in it's review here. Try dialing it back a bit with your editor and you may find the shadow detail can be brought out more. Exposing a tad brighter may also help (keeping in mind you've got a limited dynamic range that can be captured by a camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:14 AM   #4

I gave it a go to see what I could do with it. I don't know, I might have overdone it a little.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Administrator

You can use the highlights and shadows sliders (or curves) in some editors to give you more control over what you're boosting, too (rather than making changes that impact the entire image).

Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:19 PM   #6

Actually, that is what I did. I used the Magic Wand to highlight parts of the bird. Then I used the shadow/highlight control to make adjustments to the area that I had highlighted. I also used the exposure adjustment to increase the gamma slightly in the selected area.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Administrator

I figured you probably did something like that (I didn't see any changes in the rest of the images from your edit). I was commenting mostly for the OP's benefit.

Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:42 PM   #8

you may want to try spot metering off the bird and seeig what that gets you if your camera supports it. However, it looks as though you have a decent range between your background and foreground you'll prob. need some PP regardless.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:11 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your comments. The Kodak DX6490 has limited on board actions so a PS edit as suggested is my only recourse. You edit jphess looked pretty good to me. Thanks again for viewing it.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote