Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 25, 2006, 2:27 AM   #1

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I started fiddling around with photography recently when I finally saved up enough money to buy me my first cam - a Canon Powershot A85.

Anyway, here's my first photo, which I think is a moderately decent one. Off the top of my head (and especially after going through a lot of threads in this forum), what I wanted more out of this pic was hopefully more sharpness and color. What do you guys think? Any suggestions how to improve my shots (taking into consideration my camera of course:-) )?

Thanks!
Attached Images

quiapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:59 AM   #2

Well I think it's a lovely photo for a first post. I would probably have composed it a little more off centre but then that's only my thought.

Look forward to seeing more posts from you and welcome to the forum it's a great place with lots of friendly folk who will give you good advice.
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

Hi Quiapz,

Welcome. Very good photo for your first.for thecompositionI think I would have the flower just a little bit more to the left with a touch"empty" space on the right. Just a little though.

I hope you don't mind but I ran your picture through photoshop and made some minor adjustments.

1. adjust shadow/highlights. (if your photo program does not have this then levels does about the same)

2. boosted the saturation

3. used a little unsharp mask to sharpen the details a bit.

I'm looking forward to more of your posts.

keep shooting

Mugmar

Attached Images

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:47 PM   #4

Thanks guys! I wish I could learn a little Photoshop too for digital editing. I'll just look around the web for that. Hehe.

Actually one person commented that regarding this picture, he would probably to something about the composition since it's a very common theme that's seen time and time again... Adding a little "twist" to it would do it a little good.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:16 PM   #5

Welcome quizapz with this beautiful flower whose beauty became more apparent with the admirable effort of Mugmar. I would suggest you to use higher shutter speed with its matching Aperture to prevent even the slightest breeze from stealing your glory!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:27 PM   #6

I tried fiddling with the image using Photoshop and this is what I got. I used curves, then modified the contrast and saturation. I just don't know if I overdid it...
Attached Images