Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 26, 2006, 2:16 AM   #1

I was lounging around the house when I saw a good chance to do a play on shadows using our dining room chairs, the lamp hanging above the table, and the wall besing them. However, things turned out pretty dull for that idea. This one was just something I shot on a whim, after doing my "chair series" ...and it ironically turned out to be the one I liked the most.

I did a little post-processing on this one - curves and a little noise for that "old" feel.

As always, comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Attached Images

quiapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:36 AM   #2
HPx

Oooh very good !!! Poor shoes They seem abandoned. Like so much the chair shadow and the little noise !!
HPx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:25 PM   #3

Since it is the critiques section, a couple of things.

I think the picture is a bit too busy. For a study of contrasts, you have the seat back, the shadow and the blank wall - good idea. What distracts is that you have the glass table top, striped seat and spotted floor. A few too many different textures I think. You may wish to crop a bit.

Secondly, I think, if you are going for an old look with the shot, the shoes should be a bit older. The are clearly of recent vintage.

As to processing, (if you blurred it in PP), I think it would look better sharper and with a bit more contrast. Keep experimenting.

Kevin
Attached Images

klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:34 PM   #4

I see what your trying to do with the chair and the shoes, but the abstract quality of the photo doesn't add up.

If you look at the chair and the shoes as "shapes", irregardless of their semantic qualities, and look at the composition as an abstract "still life", there is no overall sense of composition to it.

I can't see that the lines work, or that any sense of geometric shape, or leading lines, or any of that good stuff.

The chair just sort of slices into the shot, and the shoes lead the eyes out of the shot.

Maybe if you treated the chair top as a half moon shape, and the shoes as two opposing balancing items.

So maybe go back and look at the chair, and the shoes, and put your DSLR on a tripod and see how you can re-arrange the scene so that the composition works as an abstract.

When your shot works well as an abstract, then we can pull in the semantic meaning of the chair and shoes and draw more conclusions from that.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:01 AM   #5

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I see what your trying to do with the chair and the shoes, but the abstract quality of the photo doesn't add up.

If you look at the chair and the shoes as "shapes", irregardless of their semantic qualities, and look at the composition as an abstract "still life", there is no overall sense of composition to it.

I can't see that the lines work, or that any sense of geometric shape, or leading lines, or any of that good stuff.

The chair just sort of slices into the shot, and the shoes lead the eyes out of the shot.

Maybe if you treated the chair top as a half moon shape, and the shoes as two opposing balancing items.

So maybe go back and look at the chair, and the shoes, and put your DSLR on a tripod and see how you can re-arrange the scene so that the composition works as an abstract.

When your shot works well as an abstract, then we can pull in the semantic meaning of the chair and shoes and draw more conclusions from that.
Wow, I really didn't think about those things :O I'm kind of starting with photography and I'm not really much into "creating" environments/situations to capture on camera . What you see there is pretty much what it was when I saw it... and I though it was a good capture so I shot it without really taking into consideration the technicalities that go into the composition of a photo - after all, I don't know much about that, but I'm very willing and eager to learn. Most of the time, I just shoot what's there.

Thanks for the comments of course! It gives me a good idea how to make a well-composed shot.

Oh, and my camera is just a point-and-shoot Canon Powershot A85
quiapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:14 AM   #6

hey, keep it up, get feedback and before you know it, you'll be selling photos!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote