Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:10 PM   #11

i think a whole series of shots of subjects like these would be pretty cool.

maybe three or for different perspectives?

as for the shot itself, a bit too mono for the white background, me thinks.

actually, i am attempting to shoot ants in macro myself right now.

170 something shots and counting and not a single acceptable pic.

the only one that would pose was mean as ...

well, all i can say is that it actually drew blood! when i let it roam the realms of my

finger!

anyway, thanks for the comments on my pics, jaki.

i hope i can make up for the lack of my own!

now to the ethical attacks, did anyone ask jaki if he was refering to an already dead

subject? before you pass judgement, know all the facts!

ps on the ant maco's i have been attempting, i have actually put a few in the

freezer for a minute or two to get them to slow down a bit. and you know what?

i own numerous animals and actually have saved a few orphaned ones. plus i give

money to the humane society!!

small-mindedness in this world is sad.

scot

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:18 AM   #12

Scot and Dustin, thanks for

I have reads some of the post with a lot of interest. First thing to capture my attention is Master Woody's assumption that the moth is dead and second because it it dead, I therefore killed it. I have looked hard, thought hard and I don't know how he derived these assumptions. Is it because it is on a white background? Is it because of the static nature of the moth? These are not sufficient to make those assumptions.

I have been wondering why he is afraid to ask me about the true state of that moth.:G. I think he bit more than he could chew.

Here are facts: That moth is not dead but wounded. I found it on the floor on my compound one morning and I thought I might try macro with it. With clinical delicacy I shot my pics and thereafter gently put it where it would not get hurt. This is the story of how it got onto that paper.

It is wrong, pressumptious and arrogant for Master Woody to presuppose that he is the only kind hearted person towards animals on the forum.:G We do a lot of good things but we don't trumphet them about.

As Dustin has pointed out, the comparison is based on a wrong premise, the conclusion is a none-starter, and so the argument is invalid. I shall say no more but to give counsel that in future engage your mind before you let out any of your thougts, beliefs and values into the public domain.

Now shall we, while keeping the ethics and rights of animals in view, do what are best at :|

Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:58 AM   #13

I suppose now is a bad time to mention those trophies mounted on my wall? :G

There is a type of person who willstep over the crippled beggar on the street to get to an injured bird. They tend to reside on moral high grounds, in my experience.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:07 AM   #14

Woody, sinceyouraised the subject of moronic behaviour,I'm assuming your dog enjoyed being dressed up like that for yourpersonal indulgence?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:42 AM   #15

Jaki,

Imust apologize to you if you thought I assumed the moth was dead. My message was not aimed at you. It was in response to the following, from Hards80, "...you may try experimenting with a dead moth...just kill with some kind of bug killer or something...then you can choose the background and contro the lighting a little better..." My point was to not kill a subject just for the sake of photographing it. If I offended, I apologize. By the same token, killing for no good reason offends me, as I'm sure it does others. I do not set myself above anyone. Not even a moth. Please accept my sincere apologies. We are here to enjoy and share photos and ideas. Let's continue on that path. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:53 AM   #16

I know that i should not even bother but I found myself googling and found out something interesting.

Interesting facts:
  • 95% of all the animal species on the earth are insects [/*]
  • Millions of insects can exist in a single acre of land [/*]
  • 'social insects' (eg ants & termites) probably make up an incredible 20% of the total animal biomass of this planet[/*]
I am figuring, even ifeveryone in the forum (the whole of Steve's digicamwebsite)were all sadistic and went out and kill an insect to photograph that we would endanger any insect species. I suppose what I am getting at is, is there a purpose for the difference in views (kill a moth / don't kill a moth) besides trying to start an argument?

WHO BLOODY CARES IF SOMEONE KILLS AN INSECT BECAUSE IN THE END THE INSECTS WILL BE EATING YOU!!!!:-) (Unless of course your desire is to be cremated which would likely be another point of contention:blah
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:00 AM   #17

I would rather be cremated.I certainly don't fancy the idea of being consumed by insects.:-) And I doubt the insects wouldn't fancy the idea of consuming me. Point well taken. And so it goes. Let's all go take some photos. Woody
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:11 AM   #18

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Woody, sinceyouraised the subject of moronic behaviour,I'm assuming your dog enjoyed being dressed up like that for yourpersonal indulgence?
That's my lovely wife's dog. And she dressed herself. She's a very smart pooch.:-) The dog dresses better than I. You got me on that one SteveDak. Now, back to photography. What gear do you use? Woody
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:14 PM   #19

[align=center]Amazing Moth Facts[/align]
[align=center][/align]
Not all lepidopterans (Butterflies and Moths) have long tongues. In some, the proboscis is very short, an adaptation which enables easy and effective piercing of fruit.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:36 PM   #20
Super Moderator

i would just like to make a few things clear here..

it appears that because i am willing to sacrifice a moth for a picture, that i am some how morally incompetent, immature and cruel and that i must hate nature..

that is simply not correct, i may not have the same way of thinking as some others here, but that does not necessarily make me any better or worse.. and i can honestly say that i have enjoyed and been a part of nature my entire life and will continue to do so...

i grew up on a farm in the midwest where 30% of our 1,000 acre farm was set aside for forests and for bottom swampland.. growing up i would help my dad to plant food plots for the gamebirds and deer.. as well as help him to raise our bobwhite quail to release in the wild (due to this the bobwhite population has soared in our area where it used to be quite small)... because of these foodplots the deer and other grazing animals do notbecome malnourishedand run the risk of getting disease and/or starve in the winter.. and we have 18month old deer weighin 180lbs or more and mature bucks over 300lbs.. our family has also always maintained a membership for everyone in ducks unlimited and other conservation organizations that rebuild and replenish wildlife habitat..

as you may have guessed if you are familiar with ducks unlimited it is a conservation organization run by hunters.. and i am proud to say that i have been hunting and fishing my entire life (not much lately, too busy with my research).. now many of you just cringed and probably think that i am cruel and inhumane again.. but i remind you all that hunting is a vital part of game management. because there are no longer any top predators in the middle part of the united states, the only predator left that can cull the deer populations (for example) is man.. and it is not just killing.. it is being part of nature, getting back to the predatorial roots, etc.. and we do eat or give away every animal we kill, nothing wasted.. i respect the game i pursue and the land that i pursue it on.. some of you may not agree with this, but you have to respect that we each have our own ways of viewing conservation and the loving of nature..

so while i may not feel bad about killing a moth to work on a macro photo. and i may view hunting as a vital part of conservation and a ways to be part of nature.. i love and respect the great outdoors as much as anyone and respect what is there and will do what i can to preserve it for the future..

(steps off of soapbox)
-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote