Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:04 AM   #1

Having been inspired by Steve, I made this post. I am not happy with this picture. I think I should have had the DOF that put the entire insect into focus. Among other things I was practising to remove the background. I shall appreciate other comments. Regards. Jaki
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:56 AM   #2

Think you're right jaki - also don't think the white background does much for it at all; makes it very stark. Also I think when taking this sort of macro one needs to come in at an angle in order to get a perspective, rather than straight above or side on. Lesson I've still got to learn - Dustin emphasises this point quite often when it comes to flower photography.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:44 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i think that the background looks really unnatural.. you may try experiimenting with a dead moth.. just kill with some kind of bug killer or something.. then you can choose the background and control the lighting a little better..

i also think this would look better horizontal i think
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:15 PM   #4

Thanks Steve, thanks Dustin, I think I could have done better. I will practice with a death moth. Here is the same moth but in the original. Regared. Jaki.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5

Yeah...and the next time you have a chance to photograph a cute little puppy, you can hit it the head with a hammer. Then you can put it in all sorts of neat locations and it won't move or for that matter wag it's tail. Try photographing wildlife in their natural settings. It may be a bit more of a challenge, but it's worth the trouble.

Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:08 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i think there is a big difference between killing a dog and a moth.. and shootinga moth and "wildlife in their natural setting"is hardly comparable.. c'mon now...
Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:34 PM   #7

There ya' go. The mentality of "just kill it". If you can't take the time to do it right. Go to a store and buy a nice photo. c'mon now! If you want to put it out there and ask photographers who take what they do seriously. Ask yourself if it't ethical to capture the beauty of nature by killing it. You sir...are a moron. Woody
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:18 PM   #8
Super Moderator

in case you were unaware.. alot of"professional" supermacros and macros of insects are of dead preparations shot in a studio environment to mimic the real world.. because the simple fact is, bugs don't listen to cues to "sit still" or "stay"..

and also, if someone that disagrees with your own personal beliefs on killing insects makes them a "moron" in your eyes.. i think you have proven to be one yourself...

there are more than one way to do everything.. you may not agree with mine, but keep the personal attacks to yourself.. ok?
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:00 PM   #9

Yourthe type of person who gives the human race a bad name. Why the heck would you want to kill something to take a simple photo. Audobon killed birds so he could study and paint them. Photography wasn't an optionfor him. He was an incredible artist. He spent much of his time in the outdoors studying wildlife, and thus educating people.With modernphotography, especially digital photography, killing your subject is not a necessity.I can see scientists having to kill subjects to study ect. but we aren't scientists. Again, if your dog or pet doesn't "sit still" or "stay" are you prepared to kill it so you can get a fine photo of your dead pet? I never said I wasn't a moron. Have been, probably will be again, but I don't destroy life for no good reason. But, hey...you're young, if you're lucky you'll mature quickly and save some of Mother Nature's treasures. If not...well maybe I am a moron to think you'd ever change. Have a nice day. Woody
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:26 PM   #10

G'day all,

You know it is a good thing that I joined these here forums. Why you ask?? Well amongst things like putting up pics of flowers and cats and stuff, I am here for comical value as well. Well to some extent anyway.

So to cheer up this thread and move it away fromt he angst that is going on, here for your pleasure is M42mosiac Cluster invaded by the horrid gastly JAKI MOTH!!!

have a great day guys, take care not to upset each other too much.

Ollie

Attached Images

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote