Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:29 PM   #11
Super Moderator

many thanks to you jaki and scot for your kind words.. i appreciate it and glad that you enjoyed it and found some inspiration..

Scot - the hoze and the chain actually did not converge for quite a while, too far out to include in the shot.. the thing that bothers me is the cut-off part of the nozzle in the foreground, i wish the hose would have been a bit longer so it just ran out of the frame without seeing the nozzle..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:03 AM   #12

I really like this Dustin - the yellow contrasting withthe naval matt grey really does it for me. I like the angle since it goes very much with the nautical theme - everything's at an angle when your at sea:-)
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:20 AM   #13

Are you the anchor man Dustin. :G:G

Alex
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:08 AM   #14

To be honest, the composition doesn't totally work for me.

It feels a little tight and forced.

However the concept is good.

Probably better if you took about 20 shots.

Very difficult looking into the viewfinder and realizing if the shot will work or not.

I have that problem. I will take a shot I think is great, and then I review it on my monitor and it's so so.

Another shot which I didn't think much about turns out to be a great one.

An old pro told me that you really can't judge how good or bad a shot will be at the time you take it, so take lots of shots and figure it out later...

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:23 AM   #15

Technically as well taken as usual, Dustin. Very Original (whichstands highly)however its lacking a certain something to me; an element of aesthetic appeal, meaning I'll probably forget it before long.

Just wondering. You said its not cropped. But this doesn't look like a standard SLP ratio ?
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:38 AM   #16
Super Moderator

thank you steve and alex.. always appreciate you looking... i'll change my avatar to an anchor hehe..

terry- i thought someone might think it was a bit too tight.. but this one had to be tight for 2 reasons.. 1) there is an edge just out of the frame near the anchor, including it ruined the flow totally. and also, there is some junk out of frame on the right and left.. 2) also, if i pulled back a bit, the yellow anchor lost its prominance in the frame, and without it there demanding you look, the shot loses alot of impact.. thanks for commenting terry, appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts..

LB- i think one reason why this one will not stand out for you is the lighting is a little flatter than i had wanted... its totally in shade, without shadows and some light its a bit duller than i wanted and the lack of shadows makes it a bit flat.. also i was wondering who was going to comment on the uncropped aspect ratio.. i actually shot this with my digicam which is the panasonic lx-1 which has a sensor aspect ratio of 16:9..
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:56 PM   #17

i really like this shot, the colours and the balance.... the one or two things id change or things you couldnt have anyway.... like those hosepipe things moving out of the pic and the deck getting a brush down

thanks for posting dustin
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:14 PM   #18

The yellow anchor really makes this picture! Awesome job
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:28 PM   #19
Super Moderator

thanks guys! appreciate you stopping by and having a look! :-)