Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:44 PM   #11

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words. The shot was set up (painstakingly!) using some of that little mesh that you get oranges/limes in stretched over a frame.

Glad you like it, and thanks again for commenting!

Best,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:55 PM   #12

the crop made the shot for me!

scot

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:56 PM   #13

VERY nice, one of the more original shots I have seen in awhile. I liked the first one, but scrolled down and loved the crop! Only thing I would change is at the very top right hand side I would fill in the top of that "eye" with black as it's the only one not fully enclosed with water. I would then submit that baby for pic of the day. Great imagination and execution!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:41 PM   #14

Thanks Scot, GoCubs!

GoCubs - I'll have a go at filling in that droplet when I have some time for PSing - thanks for the observant suggestion!

Best,

-Ben
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:53 PM   #15

Hey Ben,

Love the image. I hope to get a macro lense soon and try and do something similar. I have a couple of questions and ideas. How far from the feather was the mesh? Did you try different distances to get the focus just right? What I think would be neat to try would be to zoom in so that only one "daisy" pattern of holes in the mesh was visible so that one droplet would be nearly an eigth of the frame. This might take a more powerful macro lense than what you are using though.

Best,
Nate
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:26 PM   #16

NATE!!!!!!!

Welcome!

With regards to your questions. The feather distance I messed around with until it looked right in the viewfinder. I think for this one it was about a foot away from the mesh, but for the second I posted it was much closer.

As for the daisy pattern, I'd have to get closer in, or crop I think. I am going to try and get hold of a 1:1 macro lens soon (this taken on a 1:2 lens). If I do get hold of one, I'll have a play around and maybe post some results. Thanks for the suggestion Oh, and as for macro lenses. Take a look at the Tamron SP 90mm. It's v good on sharpness, and generally much cheaper than the brand name equivalents. The non-Di version (as at oncloserinspection) should be cheaper still, given that it's the 'old' version.

http://www.oncloserinspection.com/Pr...n/tamron90.htm

I look forward to seeing some of your shots up here - these lot are a friendly group and I've learnt a large amount since starting to post mine.

See you in 2 weeks! Can't wait!!

-B

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:19 AM   #17

The second crop is great. Wonderful colors and pattern. I really like it and wish I had taken it. Good job.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote