Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:23 AM   #11

I like this one too.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:15 PM   #12

Hey Ben,

I love the shot. An improvement over the first as well. Makes a great background I've seen. One thing I would try is with the droplets of water. I like the grid pattern but I would try and take a little more time carefully positioning the droplets. I don't know what technique you are using to fill them and how much control you have but the underfilled spots on the left were actually throwing me off more than the doubled up on the right. Though those too I think detracted slightly.

Also, thanks for the lens reference. I might just get that one.

Nate
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:05 AM   #13

Hey Nate, Evie,

Thanks again for the comments! I finally got my paper finished today, so I have a little time to devote to the forum.

Nate, I combined your suggestions: filling the drops completely for every one (VERY tricky - these things are about 1.5mm across), and the one daisy suggestion from the first post. I also used my new macro lens (the one I recommended to you).

Below is the result. I'm still not satisfied completely - the damned mesh is slightly skewed, and the 'eye' of the feather is not quite all in the shot at the top and bottom. But still, getting there I think...

Thanks again everyone!

Best,

-Ben
Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:28 AM   #14

Ben, this is amazing. Don't know how you got to do this. But certainly lot of patience and skills. Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:36 AM   #15

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Don't know how you got to do this. But certainly lot of patience and skills. Regards. Jaki
Aww, thanks Jaki - that's really sweet of you.

Patience, yes

As for skills - anyone on the forum could do it - really - give it a try! It's a lot of fun, and after a little bit of preparation, it can yield nice results pretty consistently.

Best,

-Ben

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:36 PM   #16

Very nice Ben. The sharpness of focus on the droplets and the mesh... amazing. I just found some of that mesh myself holding a few onions so I'll give it a shot too. I don't have a peacock feather or a macro lens though so we'll see. My favourite yet.

In another post I was just reading it was demonstrated how you can arbitrarily adjust the angle in PSCS2. I'm not sure what you use though... I'm still looking for what I want to get too.

A couple of new ideas that just came to mind. Perhaps the daisy pattern with the center dot missing. Or with the macro all the way in just a single dot. You are really on a roll here.

Nate
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:18 PM   #17

Nate,

Thanks again

I'd thought about doing it without the centre drop, but it didn't seem to have the appeal of the ones with. Seemed like there was no point on which to rest your eyes.

I'd LOVE to have it so that one drop filled the frame. Sadly, not even a 1:1 macro lens can do that. This was as close in as I could get.

If you have some mesh, go for it!

Having fun at work?

-B