Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:09 PM   #1

I look this picture at the NY Botanical Gardens with a circular polarizing filter. The results came out pretty well. Looking straight at the pond with your own eyes (no glasses) the water appeared very dark (almost black). Through the lens with the polarizing filter, the result was impressive.

Definitely a recommended assecessory.

(filter was purchased from lensmate.com)
Attached Images

kdjoergensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:17 PM   #2

the reflection is rather impressive, but the over exposed flowers on the right kind of

ruin the shot for me.

the composition flows nicely. the reflection is so crisp compared to the background,

though. it really seems to draw the eye up.

maybe a bit of cop will help save this one, for i think it is quit stricking.

a tad of sharpening and maybe a bit of curve play also would make this a great shot.

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:15 PM   #3

I agree.. the overexposed flowers ruins the tranquility of the water.

This was my mistake. I guess the automatic metering overexposed the picture due to the blackness of the water. I should have use EV -0.5 or EV -1.0 but I didn't (and that was a mistake).

I did take a lot of pictures the rest of the day. Many of them had very hard shadow lines from strong sunlight, and I did get a chance to play with the EV function (learn as you go, right ?)

The pond above was at the entrance to the exhibition and one of my first pictures shot during the day. I should probably have gone back and retaken the pictures (this was my first real test of my new camera).

Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated.

-- Kenneth
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:25 PM   #4

Here are two more pictures from same visit (also playing on reflections in the water).

I like the waterlily (second picture) a lot. The first one (shown below) is not as nicely composed as I wanted, but the water has a nice reflection.
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:26 PM   #5

Here is the waterlily.
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the last one has the most potential, as the first 2 suffer from being a bit crowded and busy as well as some exposure issues..

the last one is overexposed on the flower as well.. its tough to shoot these botanical gardens in the kind of harsh lighting you had that day.. often i will use a diffuse of some kind or just be vary concious of the direction of the light.. also, if you are shooting in this kind of sunlight, you may want to concentrate on the darker flowers, the ones that reflect less and are closer to the same tone as the surrounding vegetation, makes the exposures much easier.. you can always come back on a slightly diffuse cloudy day for the really contrasty flowers..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:43 PM   #7

That last shot had the potential as Dustin mentioned. The reflection of the flower in the pond really is quite nice. It is unfortunate the real flower is blown out. My only other comment would be to darken the leaf in the upper left corner so it doesn't pull the viewer's attention away.I'd love to see these again if you have the opportunity. At the very least remember to to bracket you exposure next time. You could have brought the flower in from another frame.Nice eye for capturing that last scene. Happy hunting.
RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote