Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:52 PM   #1

The Desert can give one a feeling of loneliness if you allow it to. I feel I have captured this feeling in this photo. I don't know however if the fence line addsto or distracts from this feeling. What say you?

Thanks

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:43 PM   #2

First off I like this shot because it is appealing to me with the palm and the sand hills with the small plants and the puffy clouds under a blue sky. But secondly because you have captured a title for your shot, and from that took it even further to capture a feeling. I like that. And for the fence, Idontthink that it takes anything away from the feeling of loner.
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:46 PM   #3

The title aptly captures the mood. Nice placement of the lonely palm, good application of the rule of the 3rd. Lovely pic there. Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:46 AM   #4

Nice photo, well titled and, as Jaki said, good use of the rule of thirds. It does seem a bit cold to me though, which is at odds with my image of the desert! Maybe try adjusting the levels in photoshop to remove the underexposure and give it more punch.

Also, I personally would lose the fence, especially in reference to the 'Loner' title. Without the fence you'd get more of a feeling of a vast open space and loneliness, whereas the fence shows man's influence and hints at some sort of civilisation.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

I agree with Frenchy on this one. It's a good photo and great concept that would be enhanced by losing the fence.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:32 AM   #6

I agree with losing the fence.

I like the single tree and its placement, but there was something bugging me about the photo- and I think I've figure it out- I don't like the sky- the sky looks too "nice" to be in a photo titled "loner." The way you describe the photo you want it to make you feel lonely, in a desolate place- but I look at the sky and it doesn't make me feel that.

Just my opinion though.
captal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Super Moderator

nice composition in general, the fence is preference, i dont think it ruins nor adds to the shot..

i think a little bit more contrast, saturation and a shade of sharpening will help.. or go opposite and even try a black n white version???

thanks for sharing jim!
-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:53 PM   #8

I like such places, Jim. So it is a pleasure to make a few comments. In the first place, I do not see a fence but upper part of a fence, as if it exists in the picture only by chance. I think it would be better if you shot the fence lying along rather than horizontal to provide more of an uncertainty rather than some kind of border or limit. In the present form I'll have to agree with Frenchy. I feel that there's so little soil left on some hard sandstone or limestone ground of the hill due to erosion by fierce winds to support your theme which I do apprecite.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:54 PM   #9

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to view and comment on my photo. I have tried to take all your comments and readjust the photo. I did try turning the image into B&W but I personally did not like the result. I could not manipulate it enough to give it the "punch" that is required. I did however grayscale the clouds hoping to give them a darker feeling to add to the lonliness. Any better?

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:00 AM   #10

It appears to be better so. I wish you could allow a little bit more foreground right from the start to provide more of flat emptiness before the natural barrier of the landscape(hills) which would also accentuate the desolation of the tree.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote