Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:24 PM   #1

I really welcome your imput. I am trying to learn how to take better pictures with my Panasonic FZ5. Here is a picture I took at dusk of a storm moving across the Mountains. I took the picture because it looked like a fire storm rather than rain. I just used the point and shoot mode of the camera.
Attached Images

bsinsley40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:02 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. You have come to right place. "What as I see the problem here is that it is underexposed. You will learn even by looking. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:32 PM   #3

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Welcome to the forum. You have come to right place. "What as I see the problem here is that it is underexposed. You will learn even by looking. Regards. Jaki.

yes welcome welcome, i also agree with jaki here i think the photo is under exposed. i hope u dont mind just did auto levels and shadow enhancement to try make image look more exposed.

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:33 PM   #4

I agree with Aumma- the colors look washed out to me

Go look at the thread with the tiger shot - "Asian kind of the Forest" or something like that. Look how rich the colors are in that photo.
captal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:40 PM   #5

Do you have any suggestions for next time... for getting the right exposure. All I did was point and shoot.

Barb
bsinsley40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:03 PM   #6

bsinsley40 wrote:
Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for next time... for getting the right exposure. All I did was point and shoot.

Barb
when you aim the cam to the centre of the image (see point 1 in photo below) the cam is thinking you want it to focus and correclt expose this area. As the sky is brighter than the ground it is cutting back the sky to bring in more detail but as a flip side the ground is being darkened right out.

this will jst be a metering issue barb. what you need to do is get the cam into cenre weighted metering mode. aim towards point 2 on image belw and meter the shot. If ur cam has exposure lock you need to hit it to lock the exposure. this means that the cam will select a shuter and ftop combo to correctly expose the area you are metering. in this case point 2. Exposure lock tells the camera to lock to this setting regardless from this point onwards. Now once locked aim the camera back up to the centre of the image and compose from ther. As the cam was composed at point 2 point 2 will be exposed correctly. You have to be careful where you metre from becasue you can often have the reverse effect and have the sky over exposed. i would just suggest playing around with it. meter from differnece places and see how you go.

i dont htink you want to get into manual mode as of yet.

good luck

ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote