Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

Here is a second one I took of the same storm. I don't know how to post more than one picture at a time, sorry.

Barb
Attached Images

bsinsley40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:47 PM   #2

it's too bad that the trees in the foreground are so dark. the sky is quite stricking.

if you have access to Photoshop, it is an easy fix.

as for posting more than one shot in a single thread, don't post too many in a row. i'd

say three max.

and to post multiple shots, after you hit send and your shot and description have been

posted, just hit the reply button on your post and post the next shot, just like you did

the first.

and voi la!

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:51 PM   #3

I see you are new to the forum. Don't be discouraged. There is room for improvement. Crawford has pointed out the problems with this shot. The exposure is not right and that has affect the quality of the photo. But this is not to say that this photo has not photographic quality. As Crowford has pointed out you certainly have an artistic eye. Capitalise on this. Again. Welcome. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:34 PM   #4

Thank you for your help. I really want to learn.

Now, this picture was taken just a little after dusk. What do I need to do to avoid the foreground being so dark? I did not do anything except use the point and shoot mode.

Barb
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:37 PM   #5

E.S. Crawford wrote:
Quote:
if you have access to Photoshop, it is an easy fix.
I have Adobe photoshop Elements 2.0, but I really don't know how to use it either. I told you I was a newbie. So what can I do to fix those trees?

Barb
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:43 PM   #6

Yea i agree with everyone here foreground is to dark

try metering to the foreground or the darker portions of the photo you are trying to compose. in this situation try metering where the darkened trees are. therefore the cam wills et appropriate exposure to correctly expose the trees. You have to be careful though correcltly exposing thge trees can blow out the backing skys. I think your model of cam has exposur lock and this will be a perfect time to use it. Just lock the exposure after metering(half pressing shutter)the darker(not darkest)part of the image now recompose ur image and half press again to set focus point and snap

just did levels and shadow enhancement to try get more exposure to fron trees

sorry i did this on my laptop so my lcd aint very accurate and calibrated well and i hate using this stupid touch pad

ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:07 PM   #7

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
just did levels and shadow enhancement to try get more exposure to fron trees
Thank you everyone who made comments on this and the other photo. I will try the metering like you all suggested. I have done a little of that but keep forgetting about it.

Ken, I really like what you did. You said you did a little level and shadow enhancement, how did you do that? Did you use Photoshop?

Gosh I have sooooo much to learn.

Barb

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:28 PM   #8

Barb,

The others have pointed out some of the technical stuff. I just want to second the opinion that you have a nice eye for subject matter. Also, the composition of this photo is good. Again, that shows you have good instincts.

The folks here will help you with the technical stuff. They know their stuff and you will learn a lot. Keep shooting and posting.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:05 PM   #9

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
I just want to second the opinion that you have a nice eye for subject matter. Also, the composition of this photo is good. Again, that shows you have good instincts.
Thank you for your kind words. I have a couple of books and I have been reading about composition. I have been working hard on it, now I also need to work more on the technical stuff.

This forum has really helped a lot.

Barb