Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:54 PM   #11

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Shooting in a hockey rink is similiar to shooting in snow. The bright, white ice fools the camera into thinking the scene is brighter than it really is, hence your underexposure. You did use exposure compensation of +1.0, so you may want to dial that up another 1/3 or 1/2 stop to achieve correct exposure.
That is very true, but don't forget that if you are struggling to get the shutter speeds required for certain shots you are better off fixing the exposure later. In low light situations it will always be a gain in one area while giving up something else so you have to play the balancing act to get what you want.
I would agree....this is a tough situation, and getting the shutter speed correct is the key to getting the shot. It wasn't mentioned, but shooting at higher iso's will help. It is always better to get the exposure right when possible....underexposing by too much will result in lots of noise which will be compounded by shooting at higher iso's. Getting an underexposed shot though is better than no shot at all.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:00 PM   #12
Super Moderator

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I would agree....this is a tough situation, and getting the shutter speed correct is the key to getting the shot. It wasn't mentioned, but shooting at higher iso's will help. It is always better to get the exposure right when possible....underexposing by too much will result in lots of noise which will be compounded by shooting at higher iso's. Getting an underexposed shot though is better than no shot at all.
Yes, if you have ISO available use this first and then under expose as a last option otherwise this will bring its own noise and there will be some sections that you will not be able to get back as they will be too dark (255,255,255) which as not detail at all.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:05 PM   #13

Hi, I have a Pentax *ist DL and the max ISO is 3200. again thank you for your help.
letnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:35 PM   #14

I would start shooting in shutter priority 1/250 at 800 iso. If you can't get proper exposure, go to 1600 iso,then 3200 if you have to. 1/250 is about the minimum for freezing action.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote