Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:42 PM   #1

Hi to all, I'm working on taking Ice Hockey picture inside an arena, and i'm having problem getting good results. here 2 picutre taken with a Pentax Ist dl, 70-200mm sigma 2.8 fix DG. I would like any comment on helping me getting better picture.

PIC #1

PIC #2

Thank you

letnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Letnac,

There is not a lot wrong with the shot of the keeper. I would run it through Neat Image/Noise Ninja or something similar to get rid of the grain, then increase brightness (and contrast as you are doing this) to lift the whites.

The second shot is mainly affected by the slow shutter speed of only 1/125. I would not worry so much about over exposing so much and get the ISO up to max to help increasing the shutter speed. By taking these two steps you can probably get to 1/400 - 1/500 which will help a lot, then all you need do is bring the colours up after as well as reducing the noise as above.

Hope this helps.

Mark.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:58 PM   #3

Thank you for that tip mark, can you tell me also i have look at the picture detail info and i see the EV +1 i'm not sure what it is for.

Letnac
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:57 PM   #4

yea i agree i think the first shot it too dark and the white balance is a little off

i did real quick edit to try fix. see what you think. hope you dont mind.

cant see link to pic 2 so cant comment

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:12 PM   #5

ohh yea and shot 2 i see it

yea same comments as abbove shot but i thkn ur shutter was too slow in this case. but i can see you were panning with the guys which can create fantastic final shots when pulled off. i think this is really good practise.

did similar mods to this one

i just did auto levels, auto shadow enhancements and i thought wat the hell and i got rid of the ref, he put me off

ken

Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:15 PM   #6

i found the ref distracting
Attached Images

Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:08 AM   #7

Hi kenmck15, thank you for your help, did you use Photoshop to do the ajustment? and how did you remove the ref ?

thank again.

Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:38 PM   #8

letnac wrote:
Quote:
Hi kenmck15, thank you for your help, did you use Photoshop to do the ajustment? and how did you remove the ref ?

thank again.

yes just used photoshop to correct levels. i didntt do anything really just used photoshop cs2 and just did auto levels adjustment and did auto shadows enhancement thn added slight unsharp mask and then noise reduction. i forgot to do it on the 2nd image though. oops.

Umm i removed the ref using photoshop also using a clone tool. all i did was replicate the background close the ref and i jsut painted over him. it aint tht hard to do

ken

Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:59 PM   #9

Shooting in a hockey rink is similiar to shooting in snow. The bright, white ice fools the camera into thinking the scene is brighter than it really is, hence your underexposure. You did use exposure compensation of +1.0, so you may want to dial that up another 1/3 or 1/2 stop to achieve correct exposure.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:37 PM   #10
Super Moderator

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Shooting in a hockey rink is similiar to shooting in snow. The bright, white ice fools the camera into thinking the scene is brighter than it really is, hence your underexposure. You did use exposure compensation of +1.0, so you may want to dial that up another 1/3 or 1/2 stop to achieve correct exposure.
That is very true, but don't forget that if you are struggling to get the shutter speeds required for certain shots you are better off fixing the exposure later. In low light situations it will always be a gain in one area while giving up something else so you have to play the balancing act to get what you want.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote