Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1
LT7

Playing with reflections in the eye. I've called it..."It's in the Eye", in my album. What do y'all think of this picture?
Attached Images

LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:38 PM   #2

I think the shot has great potential. The idea, the creativity and artistic merrit. But looking carely it is soft. I don't know whether you intended that effect. Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:41 PM   #3
rey

What camera and lens did you use for this (and other exif info). I've always been impressed with reflections like this, and water droplets, etc. Is that you (the photographer) holding the camera that's on the reflection, and possibly a child reaching over?

It'd be better (if possible), if it's reflecting something else, like a tall building, etc. Or at least take it in the open, not next to a wall, so it's obvious that it's the photographer's reflection. And in that case, or even on this one, you can call it:

"Eye see you!"

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:55 PM   #4

great idea but a little too soft for me

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:11 AM   #5
LT7

Thanks Jaki, no I didn't really inted for that effect. Still learning to take reflection shots.

I have a question, though, what do people look for in these pictures for sharpness? Do you look for sharpness in the reflection or the eyelids, etc? Just curious.

Rey, this was taken right around when Iwas getting to know my Digital SLR in October I think. It was a Maxxum 7D with a 50mm Macro lens. That is me in the reflection, I was taking a picture of my reflection in my 5 month old at that time. He was in his Baby seat. It was a spur of the moment shot,but I did intend to get the reflection.

Thanks Ken for looking and commenting. Is this any better after some USM.
Attached Images

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:33 AM   #6

it is an interesting shot...

in regards to the sharpness it almost looks as though it was shot in RAW with no sharpening... or was this in JPEG?
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:41 AM   #7
LT7

Thanks pic_*ist,

You are correct in that it was shot in RAW with no sharpening. This was done a couple of months after I got my camera, and didn't know much about my camera settings and post processing. I don't think I even have the original anymore(my bad, I've learned since then). Saved it as a Jpeg, and now am trying to use some USM to sharpen it a little.

I think my dof was off too that day, and so the reflection was sharper than the eyelids or retina. Oh well, I''ll be more aware the next time, and actually plan the shot.

LT
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:21 PM   #8

LT, sharpness is an overall quality of the picture ( I am sure you know this now). It enhances the quality of the shot. You see more details. It is just a necessary part of the shot unless one intends a blurry effect.

In the shot of the eye for instance, even though you were interested in the reflected image, that did not preclude sharpness of the eye. This would bring out the fine details, eyelid, etc. You can still have your reflection but with a picture that is sharp and definitely qualitatively and artistically better.

Hope this answers you.

Regards.

Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:49 AM   #9
LT7

Thanks Jaki, I know what you mean about overall sharpnessBUT when I was shooting this shot in particular, I was more aiming for the reflection, I went for more sharpness and details in the reflection and wasn't too worried about the eyelids or the foreground of the picture.

Jaki, in a sense, I guess I should've answered your first question - Yes, because I was more focused on the reflection only, and wasn't too worried about anything else.

Maybe my question should've have been is the reflectionsharp enough? But I can see that the reflection is a little dark, and would need a little more light to get better details.

Thanks so much, everyone for looking and all your kind comments, it has been noted for future reference, I really appreciate all the help as I really learn a lot from here.

LT