Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:38 PM   #1

Need digital camera help. Shooting my wife as the model, using panasonic digi cam, dmc-lz2. Shot outside, over cast day, digi cam set in 'normal mode' which the camera selects the defaults. But, in this shot, I forced the flash, as I was roughly 3-4 feet from the subject, not using zoom. I think the shot is somewhat 'white washed' ? Yet, I took another shot, again letting the camera pick the settings, with NO flash, and the shot looks dark and didn't pick up her features as well. We really enjoy outside shots, but I just can't get the hang of it. Would appreciate any help, suggestions, etc. Also, I know the image looks grainy, but that's from cropping to fit the upload requirement.
Attached Images

Fark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:35 AM   #2

I see your camera has a flash adjustment feature, meaning that you can increase or decrease the power of the flash manually. Look in themanualto see how it's done, then try it whenyou're 'out in the field'. If your photos with flash look too washed out, simply reduce the flash output by a couple of 'EV's' and try again. With luck, this should fix the problem.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I'll check the manual for help. For comparison, here's a short taken shortly after, with the digi cam in default mode again, but this time I didn't force the flash... Maybe work on settings somewhere between the 2 shots? Thanks again for the help and info.
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:32 PM   #4

much better without the flash, blondes are a bit tricky to shoot i find, the skin is paler and hair lighter and its damn tricky if they are in white, your camera prob takes light reading from the center, if u hold shutter half way u should see the image as itll look on the rear screen, if u try light settings from different places on here and look at results on screen u should see a difference in the images, once button is half pressed u can re frame the image

try not to expect every shot to be excellent, shoot loads and hope for a few that are really good
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:55 PM   #5

Guys- thanks for the help and info. We did a shoot in blue jeans shortly afterwards that I think turned out alot better without the flash. I guess we'll have to stay away from pastel colors for the most part. Also I guess I was expecting every shot to be great and that's not always the case.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:01 PM   #6

Fark wrote:
Quote:
Also I guess I was expecting every shot to be great and that's not always the case.
LOL! A good camera does not always mean excellent photos every time. Even though I have a nice camera, and it takes really nice photos, I'mnever quite satisfied.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:39 AM   #7

.... any good, done on my laptop, the last time i did one i was freaked out when i saw it on my calibrated monitor. hope its ok

nice shot btw. yea flash can wash image out big time. tried to bring it back down

hope you don tmind

just reduced highlights, and added more midtone cotrast. did a quick run throughnoise ninja to try eliminate the graininess, but yea some of this will be casued by the lo quality image when posting here in the forums

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:37 PM   #8

Ken- thanks for the info and assist and NO, I definately do not mind help or editing at all. Strange thing about monitors, I have a dell laptop that's 1yr old and displays the images sharply, but an older 19" monitor shows them as being lighter with less details. I think for the next shoot, I'll stick with dark(er) colors and let the digi cam decide the settings.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:49 PM   #9

Fark wrote:
Quote:
Strange thing about monitors, I have a dell laptop that's 1yr old and displays the images sharply, but an older 19" monitor shows them as being lighter with less details.

hey mate, if you have photoshop installed onn your computer you an calibrate your monitors to show the correct image.

see this link if you are windows
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/321608.html

YOU WILL be amazed about how much different ur images look when your monitor is showing you the correct image

if you dont have photoshop
http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html

THE EDIT Idid took about 5mins but i did do it on my laptop which has a non calibrated lcd screen. i dont bother calibrating my lcd on my laptop as it doessnt offer the adjustments to suit. i will have to look at my edit on my desktop to see it on my calibrated monitor to make sure i didnt make a disaster edit

and no problem with the edit, i am trying to develop my ps skills so i lik playing with different types of shots

keep it up mate

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote