Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:25 PM   #1
Administrator

Yes, I know the highlights are blown. But, I think I like them that way. :-)

I've also got the raw file since I was shooting raw + jpeg (and this is just a quick downsize from the jpeg).

Wide Open at f/2 with a 100mm f/2

P.S.

This is a crop from the camera produced jpeg. I put the uncropped versionin thread below.

Thread
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:59 PM   #2

Almost felt the morning sun on my right cheek! I also found his preoccupation so lovely. I wish I could go as low as f=2 with my camera. However, a complete figure with his back exposed to sun, would work better, I think..
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:21 PM   #3
LT7

Great capture of the moment Jim C. I think Bahadir has an interesting point about the sun on the Boy's back, I also think it would be better unless the Highlights are way blown out. The highlights on his handI think are just right.

LT

P/S - If you ever decide to sell that lens, I want it, I call "Dibs". If it still is in good working condition at that point that is.
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:24 PM   #4
Administrator

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
...complete figure with his back exposed to sun, would work better, I think..
Yes, I agree with you guys.

That was actually my plan when I framed it. But, there was a large sock behind himon the bench (and this was a candid shot). :-)

So, with the sock and the blown highlights onhis back, I decided a light crop mightwork better, with the more obvious blown highlights on the neck area emphasing the brightness of the sun rising over the trees behind him).

I didn't like the white on the right top much either, since it could pull the eyes away from him.

I haven't played with the raw file yet to see if I can get more detail i these areas.

Here is the uncropped version of it. Better or worse?

P.S.

I'll probably crop it for an 8x10" aspect ratioto print it. So, depending on the results of the highlight areaswhen I convert the raw files, I've got a little room to play with.
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:39 AM   #5

I prefer the uncropped version. The cropped version robs it of the effect of the sunlight on the lad's back.

Regards.

Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:59 AM   #6

I like the uncropped version too. The highlight on his back does not look unduly harsh and the sock is not distracting.

http://stray-thoughts--ruminations.blogspot.com
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:03 AM   #7
Administrator

Well, so much for my crop. :-)

Everyone seems to think it's better without it so far.

Perhaps I put too much emphasis on the sock behind him, and the way the white background looked in the upper right in the uncropped version (it seemed distracting to me).

Thanks for the comments.

Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:57 AM   #8

Nice shot Jim - I tried it in sepia and thought it looked really good. You might want to give it a go?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:51 AM   #9
LT7

I like the uncropped version a lot, I don't think that the sock is obvious. In fact if you didn't say so, I would've thought it was a stocking cap or some rag that he had for his outing. The white spot is also not distracting IMHO. Oooh Steve, you may be on to something.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:56 AM   #10
Administrator

LT7

It may be a stocking cap... I didn't notice it until reviewing the images later and at first glance I thought it was a sock. Now, I'm not sure what it is, but the "mouth" looks the same size as a sock. I'll have to ask him about it. LOL

These were just candid shots on a fishing trip. But, I still should have been paying more attention to composition.

SteveDak

I'll give both Sepia and B&W a try when I take the time to convert the raw file to see how bad the highlights are blown. Thanks for the suggestion.