Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1

I waited over two hours to take this shot. I know folks will have appreciated if I had shot it facing the viewer. After two hours of waiting, the best I could afford was this. I think every photographic condition was against me. If you can afford any comment, shall greatly appreciate. First time I saw a live one and first time I came this close.

Regards. Jaki
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:04 PM   #2

Hi Jaki,

Nice profile. Nice expression ( the ears). Nice colours in the fur. A bit of the white fur looks a bit blown out ( that's being picky). Solid capture of a difficult subject. Be happy. Let's face it... how many people could manage this! I enjoyed it !!! Thanks for sharing.

RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3

great capture, jaki!

i love the detail and dof and especially love the contrast of the grass blades against the

beautiful coat.

any chance that this was cropped and possibly drop the shot a bit to maybe see all of

him?

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:55 PM   #4

RedRhino: thanks for looking, commenting and appreciating and the kind words. Apart from contrast, I did nothing else. I am aware of the apparently blown out part, but not sure why, I think it is more the effect of the glass between us than being over exposed or strong light falling on these parts, don't know. Could not sort it out. Sadly that is a caged animal. Wish I had captured it in the wild. Once I spent 7 days in the Kruger National Park saw nearly all animals but this one.

Scot: Very kind of you to always look, appreciate and comment. Thanks for the many kind words. The missing part was physically obscured. So I orientated the camera to exclude that portion.

Kind regards.

Jaki.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:57 PM   #5

Hi Jaki,

Very nice

I think you did a very good job with the composition, especially considering the conditions you were working with.

For me, the grass in the bottom left detracts from the overall image, as it interrupts the leading line of his back upto his head. Having said this, it's obviously a matter of personal preference! (see Scot's post )

Like the saturation, the pose, and the DOF. Worth the 2 hour wait, IMHO

Best,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:32 PM   #6
LT7

Nice picture Jaki! Great colors, and pose, at least you get some grass and bush around your Leopard. The one we have here is in a concrete compound with two tree branches that they can hang out on.

If you can't fix the white highlight fur from the belly, then crop it off, I think you still get a pretty nice shot. It seems like I'm in a cropping mood today as that's what I suggested Syd do for his brick too. :G LOL

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:49 PM   #7

Jaki, perhaps next time if you took Stevedak along as your assistant and got him to get into the enclosure and try turning the leopard's head towards us . . . :lol:

Great shot, as said before, well worth the patience.

Regards,

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:50 AM   #8

I like the shot, but it looked¬*green on my screen. I took out the green (but the ground went red), sharpened and lightened a bit.¬* I doubt I would have had the patience to wait two hours.
Attached Images

Afrika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:11 AM   #9

Ben: Very kind words from you. Personal preferences sometimes do makes us unique. I took your advice and cloned out the grass. I think it was the hardest clone I have ever had to make considering the texture of the leopard's skin. Cloned, cropped and bit of contrast. I hope I have learnt something extra without spoiling the shot. :G. If it appears exposed at the bottom, it is because of the frame.

LT: As always very supportive. The cropping fever finally caught up with me. See the results. Wonder whether I have learnt anything?

Syd: If there is anyone I can count on, it is you. You know when to come to the support of feeble one's like me and you know when to tell me that my shots need still even greater effort. You are a blessed pal and a true one indeed. During the time I went shooting, Steve was unavailable; he was sending off to the States one of the dearest persons to him.

Kind regards.

Jaki

Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:23 AM   #10

Jaki,

The edit looks wonderful - VERY nice cloning work.

I much prefer it to the original, which was already very good.

(am interested to see Scot's opinion on the cloning )

Best,

-B

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote